Home

I do believe I made some sort of squeaky noise resembling that of a mouse that somebody just stepped on. 

But after the initial shock, (which took maybe one or two seconds) my brain registered that this was the first time my boyfriend had actually  kissed me. 

And it was pretty awesome.

So of course it went downhill from there. 

I heard a tiny poof behind me and somebody clearing their throat. My eyes shoot open and we wrench apart to find my father standing behind us, holding the book I had been reading for the first half of the drive. His face is purple and his right eye is twitching. And a pair of binoculars are hanging around his neck.

"Umm-----" I squeak. My lips feel numb. 

"Run?" Carlos asks. 

"Run." I agree. I grab his hand and turn to dash away.

"STAY PUT!" Dad yells. We stop together almost like he's frozen our feet. 

"HADES!" Mom shouts, running up behind him. "I'm sorry, Ellie, he saw it happen and looked for an excuse---He saw your book and used it to get close----HADES GET BACK HERE!"

"HE WAS----"

"I AM AWARE!!!"

"BUT----"

"Daaaaaad!" I groan.

Mom finally catches up to him, grabs my book, and tosses it to me. "Stop interfering with Carlie!" she scolds my dad. 

"MOM!" I shriek. 

"What?" She smiles. Then she grabs my dad's ear and makes him poof them back to the car. 

And Carlos is dead silent. 

"Sooooooooooo...." I drag out the word long as possible. 

"Sorry." Carlos mutters. 

I can see he thinks he shouldn't have done it, so I laugh. Even to me, it sounds strained. "I'm not mad. I just wish Dad hadn't seen." I quickly say, smiling. 

He looks up with the tiniest smile. "I'm just glad he didn't kill me."

I laugh again, sounding more real, though this one sounds more like a pig's snort, and hook my arm through his. My whole face feels like it's on fire. "Where's everybody else?" I ask.

"They're in their dorms. They said something about going to your dorm later tonight." Carlos said. 

I feel a trickle of disappointment. I'd hoped to see everybody at once. "Oh."

"And... Sera's still not awake." Carlos mutters. 

"Oh."

He must see how sad I'm getting, because he tugs me towards the building. "Hey. Sorry. I just.... Never mind. Come on."

I let go of him to go back and grab my bag, then I walk inside with him to my dorm. I'd hoped Sera would be awake, too. 

"How's Arson doing?" I venture. 

Carlos grins, to my surprise. "He's loving it here. He misses Sera, but he doesn't miss the Isle."

'What about Ares and Uma?"

"On the Isle, under intense spells."

"Gil? Brit?"

"Gil still likes it here. He wishes he could patch things up with Uma, though."

"Aw." I smile sadly. "Wish I'd been there."

"Oh, by the way, now that you've pointed it out..." he clears his throat. "I actually think your black eye looks awesome. When Hades told us about your...uh...scars and stuff, Mal said that was the coolest thing ever. Dizzy said that she had "so many ideas her head was going to burst" He puts air quotes around the sentence.