02

Alex

I checked my watch

I checked my watch.

Then I checked it again.

Then again.

It was currently 6:28pm. In two minutes, I would be off. Thank the lord Jesus Christ almighty cause I was ready to get the hell outta here.

Jesse on the second floor had called me in to fix her computer. Turns out it was just turned off the whole fucking time, but of course she wanted to fill me in on her seventeen cats... And that made for a three hour long conversation.

I glanced down at my watch again.

6:29... okay.

As my hand reached for my messenger bag on my desk, I was interrupted mid stride by the office phone.

Okay.

This didn't always mean a bad thing.

Who was I kidding, a phone call to my desk was always a bad thing. No one called the I.T. guy for some good conversation.

"Yes?" I answered.

"Good, you're still here."

I'm not trying to be.

"We need you up at the fifth floor pronto."

"Sir, it's ac-" I started, but the man had hung up before I could get another word in.

Fucking fantastic... Did he say the fifth floor?

-

When I finally made it up to the fifth floor, my jaw almost hit the floor. I was welcomed immediately by a man who brought me to another wing of the same level. I didn't even know we had wings. Where the hell was all this space on the other floors? I was about to demand to see some floor plans.

"Mister..." another man greeted me (if you could call that a greeting). Judging by the sharp suit, and fresh cut, the guy clearly didn't work anywhere near our departments.

"Hamilton. Mr. Hamilton. Everyone calls me Alex." I was used to people not knowing my name around here.

"Yes, I'm not doing that. Mr. Hamilton, I need you to take a look at a laptop that's warranting some repair."

Repair?

"Yes. Repair."

I must have said that out loud.

"Are-Are you sure? I mean, I've never been called out here before to repair anything. Literally. Nothing."

"It's a... unique situation. One we would also prefer to be kept a little private."

I looked at him for a few minutes, searching for any inkling of what the absolute hell that meant, before eventually shrugging.

At this point, I was just trying to get out of this building at a reasonable time. The sooner I could take a look at the laptop, the sooner I'd be able to fix it.