Chapter Twenty-Six

Quick reminder: Jamie and Luke saw Summer talking to Jonathan, a “nerd” Summer blackmailed. Clarisse is Adam’s ex-girlfriend and is in a coma.  (More info in Chapter Twenty- Jamie and Adam’s breakup chapter) 

Chapter Twenty-Six

"Did you guys hear the big news?" Lucy came sprinting to us from across the hall Thursday right before lunch period, slightly out of breath when she reached Clara and me. "Did you, did you, did you?"

She had a bit of a wild glint in her eyes as she stared at us expectantly, bouncing up and down in place. When Clara and I shook our heads no, she made a grab for our hands and squealed.

"Summer Hoebag Merrick just got suspended from the cheerleading squad for the rest of the season! Suspended. For the rest of the season! Apparently, Summer has been getting someone to do her assignments for years and that guy has finally had enough. So he came forward and when the teachers looked into it, they found that Summer had been cheating on a couple of her tests as well. This is what I call justice. About time that stuck up biotch got served. Today is officially the best day of my life!"

Lucy said all of that in one breath and let out a gust of air by the time she was finished. In response, Clara screeched happily and started jumping up and down with Lucy, the two of them looking so thrilled that you would think they had just won a free trip to Europe. I, on the other hand, just stood there, rooted to the floor and dumbstricken by the news Lucy had just delivered.

Jonathan did it. He really did it. Summer was all but off the cheerleading squad, having been suspended for the rest of the season in her senior year, and she was finally getting what she deserved. My seeming unfeasible plan actually worked. How incredible is that?

"Jamie, did you hear what I just said?" Lucy shook me by the shoulders, clearly unsatisfied by my lack of response. "Summer. Merrick. Suspended." Then she turned to Clara, saying, "I think the girl's in shock. Should we hit her?"

The word hit snapped me out of my reverie. Lucy had man hands; getting hit by her would definitely result in broken bones.  

"No need, Luce. I heard you loud and clear," I said, taking a step away from her reflexively. "This is good, right? Her being suspended from the squad?"

"Good?" Lucy widened her eyes at me. "It's fan-freaking-tastic! She always parades her cheerleading captain title around like it made her royalty or something. She has nothing now. God, I wish I could have been there to see the look on her face when Coach Reese suspended her. I heard she went into a screaming fit." Thank God I wasn't around for that. I had a front row seat to her going ballistic the last time I accidently hit her with a plastic softball, and it definitely wasn't pretty. "Anyways, I'll catch you later. I've got tons of stuff to do."

"Where are you going, Lucy?" Clara asked innocently. "It's lunch time."

"Someone's got to spread the joyful news around," Lucy responded, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. "Let's go out after school to celebrate. I'm buying."