CHAPTER 1

Coming Home - Kali Uchis

| 1 |

I sighed as I looked up at the white boring ceiling of the airport. I had just arrived from (Home Country) where I was living with my mother. Deciding to come back here to Japan was a big decision for me to make but it didn't take more than a day, or even half a day...

About to go into my 12th year I had abruptly packed my bags, booked the earliest flight to Tokyo, phoned my oldest sister, told her I was on my way, had her screaming at me for being an idiot and not telling her earlier, had a mental breakdown in the middle of the f**king airport, receiving many worried glances, get on the plane, over think my choices and overall my whole entire life, get off the plane. And still had the audacity to be mad at my sister for not being here on time to pick me up from the airport.

Grabbing my mobile from my pocket I was about to ring her for the 100th time before I heard someone clear their throat next to me.

Looking up, I saw my sister with her arms crossed and a scowl smacked on her face as she stared me down.

We continued to stare at each other for what seemed hours... People around us were starting to get concerned.

I couldn't blame her after the stunt I just pulled. I would strangle myself in the middle of the airport not giving a damn if I were to go to jail. I deserved every inch of her wrath, but it never came as she continued to glare at me.

Hana never glared at me, and I was thankful for it. Her glare could bring the own devil to his knees and beg for forgiveness.

I couldn't stand the fact that she kept her steady glare at me as I sat on the seat and she stood with her arms crossed and eyebrows furrowed. I'm probably shaking by now

Breaking the silence I stood up and hugged her, I had no idea what to do and I really need a hug right now. I had no idea if she would hug me back or she would turn her back on me and walk without uttering a word.

But the moment she wrapped her arms around my frame I let out a relieved sigh. As a chain of "I'm sorry"s came out of my mouth.

"I-It's just... something happened and I just couldn't take it and I decided it was best for me to come here with you "

She sighed as she unwrapped her arms from my torso, "let's go, it's late"

And just like that. Without another word I followed her outside the airport. Her back hunched was slightly hunched as she dragged her feet across the white tiles. She was sporting grey sweatpants and a red hoodie too big for her figure.

But what could I say, according to the big digital clock on the wall it was...

03:48 A.M

Way past her bedtime. I disturbed her sacred sleep time.

(Surname) Hana, is my beloved sister. Inseparable since I was born until recently. Being three years older than me she is on her way to her third year in college. She is planning to become a teacher. Kids love her, and she loves the kids. So I wasn't surprised when she told me she had decided to become a teacher.

We spent most of our childhood here in Miyagi. I was in my first year of junior high when our mother packed our bags in hurry and caught a plane to (Home Country)... But that's another story for another time.

She's always looking out for me. Making sure I'm okay. It can be annoying sometimes but I know she had good intentions and cares for me.

Being the oldest she's been the most purest and innocent, she has her dorky funny side. She's the sugar cube in the bitter coffee.