Chapter Five

Eren squeezed his eyes shut, covering his arms with his face to protect it. He took a deep breath, now being surrounded by the undead. He cried out as he felt a particular arm go round his chest and pull him backwards. He looked up to see who his killer would be.

Jean?

Jean pulled Eren back against his chest, his other arm raised with a gun. He fired at the bodies, his eyes narrowed. "Dumbass." Jean muttered under his breath, not taking his eyes away from the small horde in front of him. One arm was wrapped tightly around Eren while the other one was shooting the gun. He aimed his gun at the forehead of the corpses, firing one bullet after the next.

Eren tensed up and buried his face in Jean's jacket, his eyes tightly closed. He felt Jean's arm around his face and felt his face burn up. He glanced over Jean's shoulder, his eyes meeting an angry Levi's. His eyebrows furrowed in anxiety and looked around. Erwin and Petra seemed to be finishing in one aisle, Hanji and Levi were standing still. They were watching him.

Jean finished shooting the last biter and sighed in exhaustion, letting Eren go. He had a faint blush on his cheeks but he was also a bit out of breath since he didn't realize he was holding in a breath.

"Eren fucking Jaeger!" Levi snapped, walking towards them. "Did you really think it was a good idea to not tell me you can't shoot a fucking gun?!" He belted, glaring at Eren. "You are fucking useless! If it wasn't for Jean you would be dead!" He continued, gritting his teeth.

The brunette stared at the floor awkwardly and nodded. "S-Sorry. I didn't mean... I didn't think..."

"That's exactly right! You didn't think! You are so fucking dumb!" Levi yelled, walking towards Eren and cocked his gun. He raised his gun up to Eren's arm. Eren's eyes widened with fear but he didn't move.

But Jean did. He jumped in front of Eren, being his human shield. "Levi! Please calm down. We killed all the biters and nobody got hurt. Nobody needs to get hurt." He said calmly, a pleading look on his face. His eyes moved from Levi to Erwin, Hanji and Petra behind the leader. "Come on guys... Eren can still fight. He isn't a monster. I'll teach him how to shoot."

Levi rolled his eyes. "Whatever Kirstein. Burt if he can't shoot then he can't come with us. I'll kick him out." And with that he turned on his heel and walked out, along with the others. They grabbed their bags on the way out. "Be outside in five minutes, we need to have a talk." He called to Eren and Jean.

Jean sighed and turned back around to see Eren. The poor teen was slumped against the aisle, his hands tugging on his hair. "Fuck... fuck Jean he is right. I-I'm weak." Eren whispered, the back of his throat burning. It made him feel sick.

Jean frowned and sat down in front of him. "Eren I'll teach you how to shoot. You can still do other things. Remember everything you told Levi yesterday?" He asked with a sad smile, patting his hand awkwardly on Eren's knee.

Looking up, Eren chewed on his lip. "I... I almost died Jean. On the first day..." He mumbled, staring away from Jean. He wasn't crying, he was just disappointed and angry with himself.

"Yeah, but on my first day I tripped over the curb and broke my arm." Jean replied, sliding next to Eren. "Levi wasn't going to shoot you. Don't worry about it. He was just worried." He tried to comfort Eren the best he could. He wasn't good at it but at least he was trying.

Eren shook his head and rested his forehead against his knees. "Fuck... fuck fuck fuck. I've fucked up." He whispered, tapping his fingers against his leg nervously. "Jean, Jean I'm so sorry..."

Jean rolled his eyes and nudged Eren with his elbow. "Please stop worrying, everything will be fine. I swear. Don't make it a big deal." He stood up, offering his hand down to Eren. "C'mon, we are heading off."

The brunette sighed and took Jean's hand, pulling himself up. "Sorry." He murmured, pulling himself together. He walked over to his bag and lifted it up. "Okay, I'm ready." He stood up straight and stared at Jean.

"Wait!" Jean quickly grabbed his bag and walked over to Eren. "You need to smile first." He told Eren with a big grin. "You're no fun if you are all depressing and feeling sorry for yourself." He continued, his smile broad.

Eren rolled his eyes and huffed, but a smile did appear on his face. "Whatever, come on horseface." He called, leaving the shop with his own bag. He was very nervous that Levi would be angry at him; he did point a gun at Eren for god sake.

Jean scowled and trailed after Eren. "Don't call me that." He muttered, rolling his eyes. He walked outside after Eren, seeing everyone else gathered outside.

"I am going to drive Eren back. Jean you are staying. We have no use for Eren if he can't shoot a gun. He's a waste of space." Levi explained, pointing to one of the cars. "Jean you get in Erwin's car."

Eren gulped at the thought of having to sit in a car with Levi but none the less nodded and walked to the car, sparing Jean a final glance. He sat in the back seat, fiddling with his fingers. He heard the car door open and looked up, seeing Levi get in the car.

Levi started up the car and drove off back the way they came, not speaking a word. He stared out of the window, watching carefully where he was driving. He knew he would have to drive through the mob of corpses. He looked up through the small mirror in the car and saw Eren staring out the window, a sad look on his face.

"Hey, kid?" Eren heard Levi speak and looked up, meeting his gaze through the mirror. "Yeah?" He asked, his fingers nervously picking at his nails.

"Sorry for getting pissed off. But you put us all at risk out there. Do you have your gun and knife?"

That's when Eren's heart dropped through his stomach. He mentally face palmed and looked down at his feet. "No, I'm sorry. I lost them while trying to defend myself." He bit on his lip. 'Shit I'm screwed now, I'm going to get slapped or beaten or something aren't I?'

Levi sighed through his nose but said nothing. He looked back at the front window as they drove through the crowds of biters. He rolled his eyes as Eren edged away from the window and to the middle of the seats. "We have more knives, just don't lose them." He finally replied.

Eren smiled and nodded. "I won't." And he stayed quiet until the got back to the sanctuary.