In The Right Key

Prologue

"Miss Swan, I'm sorry, but there aren't any teachers left," said the receptionist at Reynolds Piano Classes. I couldn't believe it! There were always teachers available at that hole-in-the-wall. She had to be lying to me.

"Are you one-hundred-percent sure? There has to be somebody who will take me," I replied, slightly more annoyed than I should be. I guess that darn receptionist was just feeding my anger. After all, I had called about ten times before asking for lessons. I had always wanted to play ever since I first heard Claude Debussy's music. I wanted to have that amazing power to just make music seemingly out of nowhere. Renee never knew of that dream, so I just let her do what she wanted me to do. But I was living with Charlie now, so I took that dream and tried to make it happen, but that receptionist wasn't letting me. Not to mention I was already angry for the B I got in my his-

"Well, okay, maybe there is someone who will do it. But I don't know what he'll say-"

"I don't care, I'll take it!" I shouted that last part. I heard a scuffling sound on the other end, figuring that the lady had dropped it in surprise. Oops. She picked the phone back up, cleared her throat rather loudly, and replied.

"Alright Miss Swan, I will see you on Monday for your first lesson," she said, sounding quite hopeful that I would break all of my fingers beforehand. Which, given my outstanding grace, would probably happen by then.

"Thank you so much," I said, fully intending a double meaning. She replied with a sharp "You're welcome," mumbled a goodbye, and hung up.

I didn't know what my problem was today, but I squealed and shouted "yes!" Charlie came around the corner then and gave me a super weird look, which I deserved.

"Bella, would you please stop screaming!" I felt sorry because I had obviously woken him up from a nap. The station was under a lot of pressure right now because of random murders, and he being the police chief and having to stay late was taking a toll on him.

"I'm sorry, Dad, but I finally got piano lessons!" Charlie was happy that I had found a hobby that wasn't reading. I don't really know why he felt that way, but I was happy that he was happy.

"Good for you, Bells!" He was instantly cheerier (and more awake) at the news.

I then proceeded to make dinner so that Charlie could eat before he had to go back to the station for another shift. When I served the meal, we sat down at the irregular table with unmatched chairs and talked about the lessons while we ate. He was still worried about the cost, but I reminded him that it was only $20 per sitting and that I had it covered.

After he left, I showered and went to bed. It was hard to fall asleep because I was so excited. I had this incredible passion for music and I was finally going to be able to express it. The only thing to be worried about was the teacher. What if he decided he didn't want to teach me because I had no potential? The thought scared me, so I pushed it away. I mean, he wasn't going to bite. I put on some of my favorite piano pieces and drifted to sleep. I just couldn't wait until Monday!