Chapter 6

Chapter 6

The change in air pressure inside her head was the thing that startled Rebecca, causing her to wake up. Blinking, she looked down and realised she had been strapped into a seat, the straps pulled tight across her, crushing her tied arms still stuck behind her. Breathing deeply, she looked around her, and saw the SHIELD agents where also strapped in, again their eyes were blue and unblinking. Looking around, it looked like she was inside some sort of vehicle, a very powerful one, judging by the noise of it. Breathing heavily, she continued to look around, trying to figure out where she was.

"Good. You're awake". Her eyes immediately shot in the direction of the voice. It was Hawkeye, stood leaning against what looked like a set of large doors. Had he been watching her the whole time, she thought, staring at him challengingly. "Why did you drug me? You could have killed me!", she shot at him, remembering that it was him who put her to sleep in the first place. "You weren't cooperating, plus I don't travel well with awkward passengers", he sneered at her, coming over towards her, fixing her with a piercing stare. She gulped, pushing herself further back into the seat as he approached, stopping in front of her. She glanced around, realising that Loki still wasn't there, so whatever Barton was going to do to her, he wouldn't be there to stop him this time. Now trying to calm herself down, she glanced back up at him. "So, what are you doing now? You got what you wanted back in Stuttgart. Surely your job is done now". He looked down at her, before a small smile crossed his lips. "Let's play a game shall we? You answer my questions, and I'll answer yours", he said darkly, leaning down to her. Rebecca gulped, sensing that he had darker intentions on his mind. "I told you, I don't remember", she whispered pleadingly to him, her eyes wide in fear. "We'll see about that", he said threateningly.

Hawkeye reached down, and pulled at the straps keeping her secured in her seat, freeing her. He grabbed hold of her arm and pulled her up, dragging her towards the doors near the back of the vehicle. "I don't understand; where are we? What are you doing?", she asked panicking as she stumbled along, feeling her legs give way underneath her. They reached the doors, and Hawkeye hit one of the buttons on the control panel on the wall alongside. The drop doors opened, revealing the sky, several thousand feet up. Rebecca screamed in terror as Hawkeye dragged her towards the edge. "Does this answer your question", he shouted at her, pushing her forward so she stood at the edge. "Yes! Yes", she screamed, frantically trying to back away as the wind whipped around her, but Hawkeye kept his hold firm. He spun her around, letting her face him, a terrified look in her eyes. "I'll ask you again, where is the ring?", he asked threateningly, pushing her backwards, forcing her to lean out over the edge. "I don't know! I can't remember!", she pleadingly screamed at him, her terrified eyes full of tears. "Why did you pick it up if you knew it wasn't yours?", he asked her, pushing her back even further. "I don't know. I didn't know it was his. I just found it. I didn't know!", she screamed terrified, frantically trying to push back against Hawkeye as he continued to push her towards the edge. Hawkeye smirked; his blank blue eyes fixed onto hers, as he tightened his hold on her arm and forcefully shoved her. Rebecca, taken aback, screamed in terror as she now found herself leaning alarming over the edge, her feet pressed right against the edge. "Please, stop!", she pleaded at him, her eyes filled with tears as the wind whipped around her as she frantically tried to lean back into safety. "No. Now answer the question!", he said forcefully, pushing her again, this time causing one of her feet to slip off the edge, making her cry out in terror. "Why you? What makes you so special? Why does he try to protect you? Why do you prefer him and do as he says? Tell me!", he yelled at her. Rebecca glanced down at the several thousand foot drop below her, and closed her eyes, not wanting to look anymore. With a tear running down her cheek, terrified that she was about to die, she whispered "Because I care about him".

For several seconds she stood there, precariously balanced over the edge, listening to the sound of the jet engines and wind spinning around her, fearing Hawkeye would let go of her and send her falling to her death. She was therefore surprised when she felt him pull her back inside, grabbing onto her and throwing her back towards her seat. Collapsing onto the floor in a heap, she curled herself up and cried in relief, thankful that she was still alive. After several minutes of emptying her heart out, she sniffled, and pushed herself back up; only to find Hawkeye towering over her, bow in hand. "What are you going to do?", she asked weakly. "Our target is the SHIELD helicarrier; their main base of operations. We're going to hit the Avengers right where they live", he said bluntly looking down at her, his blue eyes fixed on hers. She stared back at him, confused. "Who are the Avengers, I've never heard of them? Are they like another division of your SHIELD, like the CIA?". He smirked at her. "No. They are an elite team of people brought together to fight for the protection of this planet. They consist of various skilled people, such as Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, The Hulk, The Black Widow, as well as myself. Well, not anymore." Rebecca just stared back at him, dumfounded. She'd heard stories about all of them, but never believed that they actually existed. "But... they're really powerful people, you can't do that", she said shocked, unable to believe what she was hearing. "Yes, we can. There is no stopping us".