"Thank you," Jade said, clasping her hands together. She felt uncomfortable here, even the very air feeling foreign. The smell of the forest was unfamiliar and jarring, and she knew it would take her time to get used to it.

"Can you ride?" He asked. Jade followed his eyes to two horses, tethered to a tree on the edge of the forest. She nodded.

"Good. Come, then," he said. Jade followed him up the short beach, and they reached the horses soon. One was dark, lean and tall, and Arlo put a hand on its neck. The other was a lighter mare, standing proudly despite being smaller.

Jade walked up to the mare carefully, putting a hand on her neck as well. She made sure to take soft, careful steps. She needn't have worried, though. The mare whinnied, and Jade couldn't detect a hint of malice in the sound. Her eyes looked kind.

"Step here," Arlo pointed at a high rock. Jade did so, and it gave her enough boost to hoist herself onto the mare's back. Arlo didn't need any support, and was soon on the other horse.

"What's her name?" Jade asked, stroking her mane.

"Cinnamon," Arlo answered, patting the mare fondly.

"And him?" Jade asked, looking at the stallion.

Arlo sat up straighter as he answered, "Ebony." Jade's eyebrows furrowed. That sounded more like a female horse's name. On seeing her look, Arlo sighed, slouching, "I didn't name him."

His expression coaxed a laugh out of Jade. Arlo's eyes widened. "I really didn't!" He said defensively. He seemed less like a city Head and more like a child then.

"Who did?" Jade asked, his lightheartedness infecting her as well.

"A friend," he said nonchalantly, giving her a grin. He touched both horses' flanks and made a sound, and they both started off. Jade held the reins loosely, their rough texture running through her hands.

"Don't worry, they know the way back," Arlo said, catching her look. Jade nodded thankfully. She wouldn't have known where to go, of course.

The horses trotted through the dark forest, and Jade looked around. This was the first glimpse she was getting of her new home.

The moonlight shone through the leaves above in small slivers, lighting pieces of the soil below. The trees were tall and loomed over Jade, like giants. Jade shivered as a cold breeze blew through, rustling the leaves. Sharp cracks broke the forest as the horses stepped on the occasional twig.

"It's not that scary in the day," Jade looked at Arlo, who was giving her a knowing look. Her cheeks heated as she nodded, looking away.

Finally, they reached a group of houses, and Arlo stopped the horses. The houses were all made of logs- of course, Arrian had an abundance of wood. Golden light shone through some of the windows, falling to the ground.

Jade got off Cinnamon as Arlo did the same with Ebony and grabbed her reins. It was late, and the people must have been sleeping, so they both took quiet footsteps. Even the horses were silent.

They reached a sort of stables, a sheltered area where the other horses were. Arlo led Cinnamon and Ebony in, and Jade waited outside. He came out, eyes glinting in the light.

He made a beckoning gesture with his hand, and Jade followed him. They walked through the houses, and Jade soon realized that they were arranged around a clearing among the trees. Arlo led her to the opposite side of the clearing and knocked on the door of one of the small houses.

They heard the sound of something falling through the door, as well as a muffled, "Rotten peaches!"

Arlo sighed, leaning against the wall of the house. Jade arched an eyebrow at him, "Rotten peaches?"