Chapter 6

~Begonia Writing Contest~

Continuation of the Final Challenge

Copyright © 2014 Scarlet Bienti

Chapter 6 - Hot & Cold

Désirée's stomach roiled as she took in the sight of Alcaeus on the ground as he tried to block the Dragon from smashing his face with his red sword. The connection of sword and face of the blue Dragon made a clanging sound, forcing her to close her eyes and ears with her palm.

Squinting, she looked at him and he her. As the sword bent, closed to breaking, he screamed, "run!"

With the look on his face, Désirée didn't need to be told twice. Turning around, she wiped the tears from her eyes and cheeks to see past the smokes and fogs that were caused by the Dragon.

Fire was everywhere, burning the trees that ware surrounding them. She ran blindly and fell as her body hit one of the trees. Sobbing with desperation, she crossed her arms to block the air and her surroundings. So hot, yet so cold.

Désirée shivered as she felt the ice creeping up her body and into her skin. She licked her chapped lips and she could feel the magic at the tip of her tongue. With closed eyes, she blocked the fogs and smokes that were blinding her and took in the oxygen of the mesmerized air.

Concentrate, you stupid fool! She heard her mother's voice in her mind.

"I'm trying," She whimpered.

Try harder. You're an embarrassment to my bloodline. A weak Creature, not worthy of calling yourself a Si-

Gritting her teeth, she let out a warrior scream and ran, ignoring the trees as she glitches passed them. She let the air take over of her sense, becoming one within. As she concentrated on her breathing, she heard the thumping sounds of the Dragon's footstep, the cries of the trees and the snorts of the Giant.

Slowly, Désirée opened her eyes and it shone brightly as her pupil changed to the color of bright gold, letting her see the unseen, letting her be the Siren she was meant to be.

She shifted her head, turning her vision towards the sky, and her feet stepped up, away from the ground, letting her float in mid-air. Her body turned around making her watches the new ambiances.

Trees around her started to waken. The trunk and branches let out the brown skin covering them, and as if little hands exist, they glided them down like blankets, the color of the trunk turned to pure white, before the drips of neon colors of Pink, Red and Purple started to stain the trees. The mucus like stains travelled around, covering each tree with different colors of neon.

The trees shook itself as if a dog shaking water from its fur, and the green leaves fell to the ground, before rich, glorious golden and silver leaves replaced it.

Désirée looked down at the ground for any trace of leaves that fell not five minutes ago, but it was as if the dirt had swallowed them whole. With jaw and eyes wide, she stopped breathing and watched them in awe.

What the hell! Désirée grumbled as she fell to the hard ground with a loud thump. Gritting her teeth, she rubbed her ass to get the throbbing pain away. With the help of both her hand, she stood up and held her head to shake away the blackout. She moaned and turned around to continue her journey.

Stepping back, Désirée gasped and rubbed her eyes with the back of her palm.

"Impossible! I must be dreaming," she whispered and pinched herself in the arm, before slapping herself.

"Ouch! Fuck, this is real?"

She shivered and some of her blonde locks stood up as if electrocuted. She looked down at her pale skin, which were filled with goosebumps before looking up and then back. There is no way that I've run so much.

She narrowed her eyes at the cave and blew out her cheeks. She pinched her nose, before glancing sideways. Letting out a sigh, Désirée stepped into the dark hallway of the cave.

"Behold, Giant. Désirée's in the house!"