ACAIS A New Beginning

"Audrey, Audrey, AUDREY!"

"Arghh! Dodo, stop annoying me. I already said no," I scolded my six-year-old brother, Douglas as he pulled my earphones away.

"Mom... Audrey is not playing with me," he complained to Mom, who sighed but didn't say anything.

The four hours of driving had already taken a toll on her and exhaustion was clear on her face. Her brownish hair which was neatly tied in a bun before the journey, was falling out of her hair clip.

Dodo pouted, sat back and folded his little hands. He had been bugging me for the last ten minutes to play roadside bingo with him.

I ignored him and put my headphones back on and continued watching the scenery out of the car.

I leaned closer to the window and thought of what Manhattan was going to be like. Manhattan, one of the most densely populated of New York City's five boroughs. Google is really helpful.

We were on our way to Manhattan right now and I am thrilled about it. Eh, who am I kidding? I don't want to go there.

We lived in Chicago, Illinois and are now moving to New York to live there permanently.

It's just Mom, my little brother and me, since the divorce of my parents which happened not long ago. My Dad found someone younger from his office and left my mom, me and my brother. How responsible of him.

Ever since the divorce, Mom had been working her ass off for our well being. Her work inspires me and I'll be forever grateful. Even when she got tired, she would never show it, and would just cover it with a smile. She's that type of person.

Dad was quite wealthy but Mom refused to take anything from him. She wanted to show him we could live without his help.

Mom did not work at that time. She was a lawyer before but she had to quit the job when she gave birth to me. That way, she could spend time with her children as Dad mostly had to work for long hours in the office. She would have had to as well, if she was a lawyer and getting a Nanny would have been the only option which she didn't want.

She was a good lawyer apparently, which was unknown to me until recently. She had contacted her old firm and fortunately for us, she was called to work on a case urgently.

Long story short, the lawyer who was supposed to be working on that particular case had passed away after he had a heart attack.

Mom and her client won the case after four long months of her running around asking and looking for proof to prove her client's innocence, who was charged with dealing with illegal products. After the successful victory, Mom got a call from her firm that she was promoted and transferred to a new firm in New York and was asked to move as soon as possible to Manhattan as she had another case waiting for her.

Moving to another place was an amalgamation of both a melancholic and a liberating feeling. The former was due to the fact that I was leaving all my friends and the city I was born and brought up in, along with all the memories, not knowing if I'll ever return. On the other hand, it was quite liberating as I wouldn't have to see dad flaunt around with his new lover. I heard she got pregnant. Eww. Bad mental image, Audrey. Bad mental image. I shouldn't have thought about that.

As I hummed along with the soothing melody in my ears, it was snatched again.

"AUDREYYY..!!"

"Dodo give my headphones back, now," I said irritated.

"No, play with me. Mommy, tell Audrey to play with me pweasee," he pleaded to Mom again.

"Audrey, play with your brother. He is getting bored," Mom said this time her blue eyes quickly glanced at me once then back on the road.

"But I'm tired I want to sleep," I protested.

"Pwease Pwease Pwease," Dodo begged.

I knew exactly what he would pull next. So, I fortified my resolve and fixated my stare on him. His brownish blonde hair was nicely gelled and brushed to the side. One second, he widened his eyes, two seconds, his turquoise blue eyes started to gleam with unshed tears, three seconds, bottom lip out, four seconds, his lips trembled.

No, Audrey, you must not give in.

"Ugh! Okay, just one game." I sighed, my resolve all broken to pieces.

"Yeah, Yipee I'll beat you for sure."

His entire demeanour changed to that of an excited one, his earlier facade of sadness and cuteness, all gone. He happily rummaged his small backpack and took out a book and two markers.

"Here." He said and handed me a marker and a page with a list of things we need to find.

For the next twenty to thirty minutes we played. And I lost because I couldn't find a thing on my list. A dolphin to be exact. How could I possibly see a dolphin on dry land? Dodo probably gave me this page knowingly. Well, at least now he will stay quiet and I can sleep peacefully.

We still had hours till we reach our destination. I wonder what awaits us. A new city, a new life, a new beginning. Hopefully, everything falls into place.

I put my headphones back on and played my favourite playlist, and let the peaceful music lull me into a deep sleep.

******
A.N:

Note: I chose to use the simplistic style of writing. As long as it's understandable and not grammatically incorrect please don't judge me on that basis. And this book was meant to be cliché for a reason do not leave comments on it. If it's not your cup of tea you may leave.

So, first of all, thank you guys for taking the time to read this.😊
This is my first book and I'm inexperienced. Which can be clearly seen from the way I write.😳

There will be grammar mistakes as well as typos.

Constructive criticism is always appreciated, just don't be mean.🙄 I might cry and never be back.🙈

Started on 12 August, 2018

Copyright © 2018
All Rights Reserved. This book or any portion thereof may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever without the express written permission of the publisher except for the use of brief quotations in a book review.

Thank you *Bows* 🙆
(👆English)

Love Vee.