You & Me

It's months after the whole Alexei incident and Natasha is still recovering in multiple casts and braces with several bones held together with pins. She's sick of not being able to move much. She's out of hospital but still goes for weekly checkups and she secretly enjoys the way James fawns over her and spoils her rotten. But she won't ever admit that.

After showering, which is incredibly difficult in her current situation, she walked back into her room and found a little note next to a beautiful rose. She reads the Russian and smiles when she realises its from James.

Morning beautiful,

Wear something nice tonight. I can't tell you where we're going and I know you hate surprises but trust me, I think you'll like this one. Unfortunately I'm out on a quick mission with Stevie boy today so I can't see you this morning. Pick you up at 7.

Love James xx

She felt the smile creep up her face as she laughed at his cheesiness. She practically skipped down to breakfast. Clint raised his eyebrows as she entered. "You're supposed to be in a wheelchair."
"Fuck off Barton." Not even his sibling like annoyingness could put a damper on her today.
"Ok, you're weirdly cheery so either you had a good fuck or Barnes is being the charming ladies man from the 40s. Since you don't have that glow I'm guessing it's the second one." She smiled radiantly at him and he choked on his eggs and fell backwards of his chair. She laughed loudly and swept passed him. "BARNES YOU BROKE HER!"

When 7 rolled around James was waiting in the lobby with a bouquet of roses. He was in a button down shirt and black jeans with his washed out denim jacket thrown over the top. He grinned sheepishly and rubbed the back of his neck, a habit picked up from Steve. She was gorgeous in a dark maroon dress that ended just above her knees and a leather jacket with her combat boots. He felt a pang as he saw the sling and crutch. She greeted her with a kiss and he felt her smile against his lips. She put the flowers in a conveniently empty vase and followed him out the door. He wrapped an arm around her shoulders as he led her to the curb. He was preparing to hail a cab when she laughed lightly and pulled away. She walked over to the garage and uncovered his motorbike.

"No way Natalia. You have a broken arm and need a crutch." She scoffed, snapped the crutch over her knee and threw the pieces away. She pulled on a helmet and he found it adorable that her hair fuzzed out beneath it like a cute spaniels. She gave him a look like she knew exactly what he was thinking and slung a leg over. "What are you doing?"
"Well if you won't drive then I will."
"But you don't know where we're going." He pointed out. She shrugged.
"Then I'll just drive until I find somewhere I like." He chuckled and pulled another helmet over his head.
"Fine, but if we get caught remember that this was your idea." He sat in front of her and he felt her press against his back. Her sling arm was carefully placed under his ribs.

He revved the engine and then they were off, weaving through the traffic of New York. When he parked the bike he drew a blindfold out of his pocket. She raised her eyebrows and he grinned. "I told you it's a surprise." She reluctantly complied and gripped his arm tightly. He winced but led her gently across something wooden. She stepped over something and felt metal beneath her. The whole floor rocked and swelled beneath her and she clutched James at the unexpected movement. He caught her around the waist and she felt his chest rumble as he chuckled.
"Bastard," she hissed. She knew he was smiling in amusement. For the time being she enjoyed the feeling of James protecting her and the gentle swaying beneath her.

The bobbing of the boat disorientated her and she couldn't figure out where they were when they landed on shore. James being a perfect gentleman lifted her down, careful not to jostle her injuries. She took his hand and they ambled down a cobble path.