Chapter Thirty-one

This chapter is dedicated to @clueless121 for being amazing!

Enjoy!

•••

•••

M A R I N A

As she made her way downstairs for breakfast, her mind couldn't wrap around the fact that Shahroz's family will be coming over today for her hand.

She was frightened yet slightly excited.

Her eyes roamed around the kitchen until they landed on her mother who was adding milk to the tea.

"Assalamu Alaiykum ammi." She grinned at her mother who looked up and set the milk pot aside.

She replied to her greeting and Marina joined her in getting the rest of the breakfast ready.

They were almost done when her mother spoke.

"So.. Shahroz is coming over today, huh?" She grinned at her daughter who gave her a shy smile.

She nodded, "Yeah.."

"Are you excited?" Her mother asked with a height of enthusiasm she was well aware of as she nodded.

She was glad her and her mother were really close, as she didn't have anyone else other than her in the family to share her girly talk with.

"Ammi.." She suddenly started and her mother turned her head towards her daughter.

She hummed to let her continue.

Marina sighed, "There are some things I want to tell you about Shahroz before you give him.. give him the right.."

Her mother looked worried, "What happened, beta?"

Marina gulped. She knew she couldn't lie to her parents about the flaws of Shahroz, as they should fully know about his background before taking their final decision.

She had to be honest.

She swallowed the saliva forming in her mouth, "He.. he used to drink and did drugs only once.."

She closed her eyes and turned her head away once she said those words, her heart going into panic mode for her mother's upcoming reaction.

She was surprisingly calm.

"Oh.. so he doesn't do it anymore?" Her mother voiced and Marina mentally dropped her jaw.

That was a very un-desi parent reaction.

"Nope." She said as soon as she threw the empty ketchup bottle in the bin, her mind alert of her mother's every expression.

"But how?" Her mother was perplexed now.