Chapter Forty

Emily's legs burned, an unexpected side-effect of her new job, but she adjusted the tray on her shoulder and grunted through. She knew that it was going to be another long night, where she collapsed in bed with her legs throbbing. That was alright though. It was liberating being on her own-having no one to answer to or to ask permission from. Emily would have to be no one other than herself.

She had kept an eye out for the cloaked beast. It hadn't been in the pub since she left Leon. Still, Emily's stomach tensed just thinking of it. Stop that now, she told herself and instead focused on the shelves of liquor behind Al.

"Quite busy today, wouldn't you say?" she asked the bartender, setting down the tray of empty mugs on the bar. A low murmur hung in the air as people chattered over their food and drink. In fact, it was the busiest Emily had seen Der Hochmütige Hog since she started.

"Not intimidated, are you, little miss?" he asked, smirking.

"Absolutely," Emily said. "I'm glad I have an extra piece of thread in my room lest these legs come undone."

Al's eyebrows scrunched together, but Emily turned back on him with a smirk of her own.

The bell above the entrance clanged. A gentleman in a well-tailored black coat and top hat took a seat at a corner table. Emily grabbed a menu and stiffly ran over, taking in the musty air. Though, the closer she drew to the gentleman, the more her pace faltered. The gentleman took off his top hat, revealing his shaggy, brown hair.

Emily's face flushed, but she took a deep breath and straightened.

"Hello," Dominick said, quietly.

"Hello," Emily said stiffly, placing the menu on the table. "Why are you here?"

"To eat, of course!" Dominick said, picking the menu up and burying his face behind it. Emily crossed her arms. She suddenly felt hot, and it took everything in her to keep her composure. She could feel Al's eyes on her back, as though he saw the anger radiate from her.

"You and I both know that you're not here to eat."

Dominick lowered his menu. Bags hung beneath his eyes, making his already long face seem longer. He kept his head down, cheeks reddening.

"Yes," he muttered. "You're right, of course...I just...I have things I must say."

"I believe you've said all you needed to," Emily said, turning her back on him.

"I was wrong," Dominick blurted out. Emily's legs locked, almost making her fall. The words themselves turned her around like a magnetic pull. Dominick sat, his hands on his top hat, unable to look her in the eyes. "Please, Emma-I mean, Emily-sit, just allow me to say what I must. After which, I will never bother you again."

Emily waited for Dominick to say something else-anything that revealed his true intentions-but he said nothing more.

"Very well," she said with a sigh. "But not now. I'm free in an hour."

Dominick gave a brief smile and nodded. Emily's eyes lingered on him for a moment, examining his face for any deception. Yet, it only looked tired. She even spotted a strand or two of gray sprinkled among his brown hair. She turned and resumed her work.

For the next hour, Dominick didn't budge from his seat. Emily half-hoped that he would just tire and leave. Finally, the hour passed, and Emily found herself walking back to Dominick's table. Her legs felt stiff, and she wasn't sure if it had to do with her day's work or her anticipation of the coming meeting. When he noticed Emily's approach, Dominick sprang up and drew Emily's chair for her.