Chapter 36

"Lyssa," he says softly. "Lyssa look at me, please Lyssa."

I turned my head and meet his gaze.

"Can you do something for me?"

My nerves make me start shaking my leg and he glances at it.

"It's simple, I promise."

I still don't say anything afraid of what he wants me to do. I glance at the door, trying to see if it's locked or not.

I see him follow my gaze and he bites his lip.

"I'm going to stand up, and I want you to do the same, okay?"

I stare at his face trying to decipher his intentions. He slowly stands up and walks in front of his bed. He shrugs off his coat and throws it onto his chair. I can see his muscles flexing in his white tee and I can't seem to take my eyes off of him.

"I promise I'm not going to hurt you, just stand right here," he says pointing to the floor in front of him.

I sigh and stand up, adjusting my dress as I walk to the empty space in front of him.

"Okay, now put out your hand."

I squint my eyes at him to which he just nods his head. I uncross my arms and put my hand out palm up.

"Okay, now I'm going to put my hand out too, okay?"

I'm still skeptical, but he raises an eyebrow waiting for me to say okay.

"Okay," I say a little annoyed.

He raises his right hand and reaches for my hand. I instinctively take a step back and he shakes his head.

"Please, just stay still. I'm not going to do anything. Please."

I step forward to where I was standing and place my left hand out where it was. He reaches for my hand again and this time places his palm on top of my own. My hands are clammy from nerves and I'm sure he can tell, but he doesn't say anything.

He wraps his hand around mine and raises his left hand.

"Can I have your other hand?"

I sigh still annoyed.

"This is stupid, Ryder."

"No, it's not. I'm trying to show you that you can trust me. Please, Lyssa, just give me your other hand."

I grumble and put out my other hand. He places his hand inside of mine and the contact is sending my heart racing.

I look up into his eyes and he lowers our hands still keeping hold of mine. He licks his lips leaving them glistening.

"See?" he says squeezing my hands lightly. "I'm not trying to hurt you when I touch you."

I roll my eyes making him smirk. He releases my hands and I try to discreetly wipe the sweat away. He laughs at my actions and I glare back at him.

My phone buzzes in my jacket pocket and I take it out to find a text from my mom.

I look back at Ryder.

"I have to go."

"Oh, okay. Where'd you park? I'll walk you out."

"That's okay, I can handle it."

"I know you can, but I want to."

I sigh and motion for him to lead the way.

I send a text to Becca that I'm heading home as we make our way through the crowd of people. Several of his teammates come up and slap him on the back like guys do and he just nods, lightly pushing them off.

When we stepped onto the porch, he waits for me to guide him towards my car. I unlock my car as we approach it and awkwardly pause to say goodbye.

He smiles to himself and I open the car door. As I'm stepping inside, he speaks up.

"Wait."

I stand back up and he comes to the other side of the car door to where I am standing.

"Can I give you a hug?"

He waits for me to respond and I eventually nod yes.

His arms are covered in chills with his jacket still upstairs, but as I enter his embrace I can feel the warmth of his chest. I awkwardly leave my hands at my sides, not sure if I should touch him.

He chuckles and pulls away.

"We'll work on that one."

I laugh uncomfortably and climb into the car. He closes the door for me and I turn my car on. He backs away so that I can pull away from the curb. I drive off down the street and look back to see him standing in the street with his arms crossed over his chest.

**************************************************