120

I turned to see the remaining four dragons, waiting motionlessly for us to return. Doron stepped forward and lowered his head down to me as I walked over to meet him.

"Let's do this." I said as I stroked his lower jaw.

I hurried up his wing and settled down as Amy and Tahli did the same. I looked to the two of them, nodding my head, before turning and facing what remained of our army.

"Fly."

Doron screeched, spread his wings and leaped off the ground, with Ragon, Veracon and Yulion close behind. The four dragons flew wing tip to wing tip, with Doron out in front as the last of the warriors followed us down below. I looked back at the site of the second battle as smoke filled the sky behind us, from the once beautiful landscape that had been destroyed by the fire of dragons and destruction of war. We flew what felt like forever, though it couldn't have been nearly as long as it felt. Finally, up ahead, I spotted what looked like a thin wall of shields off in the distance sticking out from the rather long grass. As we neared the shield wall, I could see the faint outline of the kings residence off in the distance, though at that moment it appeared as little more than a mirage on the horizon. Doron seemed disturbed more than before, but I paid it no attention as we continued towards the shield wall, war cries rising up from below from what remained of the warriors.

"Their they are!" I shouted confidently.

As we neared the shield wall, I noticed how thin it really was, which made me question how such a small group of soldiers could be the kings last defense. Never the less, we pressed our attack and charged at the shield wall. But before we got close enough to attack, men suddenly started getting knocked off horses by arrows, shot from the side rather than the front. I looked over Doron's side as thousands of soldiers leaped up from the ground and ambushed our army from the side as the catapults from behind the shield wall started lobbing boulders at the warriors who were still charging at them.

I turned to wave to Tahli, hoping she would understand that I wanted her to follow. She nodded and waved back before Ragon banked under Doron and flew towards the ambushing soldiers. Doron dove down on them, strafing the grassy field with flame as he passed over head with Ragon close behind. Before circling around for another pass, I looked up to see hundreds of warriors and horses toppling over as arrows and boulders struck them, and the field around them. I decided against continuing the assault on the ambushing soldiers and turned towards the shield wall in an attempt to save the few warriors who hadn't yet been shafted by the soldiers arrows.

"Fire!" I commanded.

Doron reared his head back before letting a stream of orange flame rain down on the shield wall below, before long range arrows came flying past us. Doron banked right and rolled in an attempt to avoid the arrows as Veracon fly over head and dove down on the bows at an angle that prevented them from firing up at him. The dragon made quick work of the first several rows of bows before flipping over and diving on the bows to the rear of his initial attack. I looked off to the left to see Yulion flying close to the ground, just above the warriors that were still charging at what was left of the shield wall and Ragon flying up through the smoke her created to join Doron.

"Stay with me!" I shouted while pointing down at the ground.

Tahli gave me a thumbs up before Ragon banked down towards the battle field as it erupted into a furious mess of dead bodies, fire and arrows flying back and forth against both sides. I Looked down at the collision of the two armies, and was horrified at the brutal efficiency of the soldiers, who effortlessly broke through the shield wall and started cutting men off their horses one after another, taking few casualties of their own.

"Their breaking up! Watch where you attack!" I shouted to Tahli and Amy as the flew up along side us.

They both acknowledged my command as we all dove for another attack on the soldiers who hand't yet mixed in with our warriors. The blood curdling screams from men having their intestines spilled, limps cut off or throats slit would not be a sound I would not forget any time soon.

 After more than an hour of none stop slaughter, there was no sign of either side giving way to the other. It was difficult to use the dragons most potent weapon with out killing our own men in the process, as the shield wall had mostly fallen apart and was replaced with a mass of men swinging swords, throwing spears and blindly shooting arrows. I could see the kings residence off in the distance, with seemingly nothing between us.

"Come on. Let's get this done." I said to Doron as he turned and started towards the unguarded residence of the king.

Hey Everyone!

If you're enjoying this story, be sure to check out my new story "The Dragon's Bond"! It can be found on my profile page and is still in progress, updates are daily or bi-daily on average.

Enjoy!