Prologue

The bounty hunter holstered her firers. She had just used them to kill the gunslinger that had been trailing her. The movement of replacing her firers caused her to wince. The pain from the gunshot wound in her shoulder filled her left arm.

"Hey!" someone shouted, seeing her. The bounty hunter turned, swung herself up onto a higher pathway and began to sprint. She could hear the rest of the gunslinger gang chasing after her, angry about the death of their comrade.

Her spacejet was waiting at the spaceport. If she could only get there ahead of her pursuers, she'd be fine.

Taking a laser pyramid from her belt, she tossed it behind her. Activating, it shot lasers into the air, zapping a few of the gunslingers. She saw a black, long skyracer sitting idly in an alley and leapt astride it.

She whipped a tool from her belt and fiddled with the engine lock. She may not be an Iyotan, but she did have quite a bit of technical skill.

The engine coughed and sputtered to life. The bounty hunter gunned the motor and flew forward. Moving the handle bars, she maneuvered the skyracer down the alley and zoomed into the air.

Leaning into the wind, the bounty hunter directed the racer to the spaceport. Slapping a remote on her wrist, the entry hatch to her spacejet opened. She slipped inside in the nick of time.

A woman hurried up to the entry hatch and peered in. "Kena Cheyin?" she called hesitantly.

The bounty hunter dismounted from the racer as she heard her name called. She just remembered she had agreed to transport this woman to the Umani system. "Yes?" Kena responded.

"Is it time to leave?" the woman asked.

"Yes," Kena said, grimacing as the gunslingers came into view. "Yes, it is."