Part 12

Kaito took the jewel from the dagger because of an important reason. It was his excuse to visit Kudo Shinichi, he didn't see him at the heist and the next day there wasn't any sign of life of him either.
In the evening, Kaito dressed up again as Kaitou KID and left his house after making sure the nosy Aoko wouldn't catch him like this. His way was quiet and not very exiting for him, it wasn't the same to just fly over the roofs without anybody either applauding him or trying to catch him. But he knew this was going to change once he entered the Kudo manori.

As soon as he reached it, the phantom thief of course took the easiest entrance:
Shinichi's window.
As said man heard the alarming noises from the direction of his window, his eyes opened wide and his heard snapped around to the source. Shinichi immediately recognized the white appearance and swallowed hard.
"K-Kaitou KID...?!"
Kaito merely chuckled and stepped elegantly through the window inside the dark room.
"Greetings, Meitantei~"
Kudo Shinichi was both happy and not happy to see him. First, he had no idea what the thief had in store for him but second, he had wished for a thrill to cheer himself up and god must have heard his prays and sent Kaito. As soon as he caught himself again the detective wrinkled his nose.
"As always, you're committing a trespass again. What do you want inside my house? Here's nothing for you to steal."
Kaito chuckled softly and inched closer, pulling out of his pocket a jewel which said everything. Shinichi furrowed his eyebrows.
"You... You're here to return it again. But that's not your only reason to visit... There is something else. What is it KID?"

Kaito sighed and placed the jewel onto the desk before he took a chair and sat down next to Shinichis bed, eying the detective closely up.
"...you weren't at my heist. I was eager to know what held you back."
Shinichi kept quiet at first, surprised Kaito had been missing him, but decided to answer this without a snarky remark.
"As you see, I'm sick. A flu."
"Ah... I see it, indeed. What a pity..."
Silence fell upon them for a while as both simply enjoyed the presence of the other one until Shinichi decided to break it as something came onto his mind.
"That's just the jewel by the way... where is the dagger?"
Kaito couldn't help than to giggle as he heard that and leaned back with a proud expression into his chair.
"Don't worry, it's already at the police. Probably.
"What is that supposed to mean? You did something, I can almost smell it."
It was a little ironic Shinichi said that since his nose clearly was stuffed and he couldn't smell a thing, but Kaito was already deep in thought about his memories of Hakuba's humiliation in class.

"You see... I trusted a newby magician I watched with this dagger in the early morning when he was obviously on his way to school. I found out Hakuba is going to class with him and that he thinks the newby is my casual identity. Hilarious... Anyway, he seemed to hate Hakuba so I offered him to tease him a little~"
Kaito laughed a little to himself and Shinichi stared at him in pure surprise.
"...and how is that boy's name?"
"I doubt this is any of your interest, meitantei. If it calms you, he didn't see anything. I kept myself covered enough."
Shinichi grumbled unamused.
"Then I'll ask Hakuba. He will tell me for sure."
Kaito chuckled softly. He knew Hakuba wouldn't tell him, he wanted to be the one who caught him and not Shinichi.
"So... I told him to go up to Hakuba in front of the class, press the dagger into his hand and tell him he found it on his way to school. You should have seen how his eyes sparkled... I would have given so much to see Hakuba's expression."
Shinichi tilted his head and eyed the magician up.
"I'm going to ask Hakuba about this."
"Do so."

Kaito finally got up from his chair and simply smiled at him.
"Get well soon Kudo-kun. I want to have my favorite tantei at my heist next time~"
"You worry about me~"
"Please, you may flatter yourself now~"
With these words, Kaito left the house through Shinichi's window and closed it politely behind him again. The man was left in confusion. Did he mean it serious? Or was he just fooling around as always?
He couldn't think further about this topic, the headache kicked in again. With a groan he turned onto his side and closed his eyes, snuggling into the pillow and luckily for him falling asleep fast enough.