[LOG 2]

[LOG 2]

Right now it's my lunch break at work (I brought my laptop with me) and I can hardly eat I'm so excited. My coworkers have FINALLY figured it out and are presenting the chemical today. They've made the prototype function properly. At one thirty they're adding the second ingredient to the real thing: water. Just one drop of H2O and it evens out. Oh, off to the lab. The rest of this log will be after I'm back.

--

This isn't right. This isn't how it was supposed to happen. I just can't wrap my head around it all. I don't think I can go on like this, knowing that they're all . . . I just can't. Okay, calm down. I've got to pull it together. So this is what happened:

I went to the lab section that the experiment was going on in, leaving my laptop on the table near the door. All forty of us gathered around the small round room in the center* and watched the mercury-like substance sit still. O3 was being pumped into the room, since all the chemical did was eliminate it. Joan walked in with her biohazard suit and a syringe filled with water. She walked up to the table in the middle and squeezed a drop of water onto the substance. We had expected a small bubbling and change of color, but what happened was just too awful. It started bubbling, but instead of changing into a misty shade of purple like the prototype, it changed into a rusty red. The bubbling didn't die down, but grew. It was a slow climb until suddenly a large bubble the same size of Joan's head globe popped, splattering her suit. I saw the pedestal that the chemical sat upon began to erode away, like a sponge soaking up water. As it ate, it grew, too. It was soon as tall as Joan. What happened next was too much to bear. The chemical started eating away at Joan's biohazard suit. By then she was backed up against the door to the room. She started screaming and clutching the spots had hit her. It was awful. She banged on the door, but nobody would let her out, for fear of letting the chemical out, too. The dioxygen meters were skyrocketing. I realized that the chemical would eat through the glass and wall to us quickly if we just stood there like idiots, so I quickly pulled the alarm. The sound blared through the whole facility, deafening everyone as they ran to the emergency exits. Everyone else split off of escape pods that rocketed underwater to shore, but I ran for the usual exit. I hadn't even gone back for Joan, for she had already been consumed. I scooped up this laptop as I ran out the door. Since I was alone, I had no hesitation in hopping onto the worker's boat and gunning the engine. That's when the power in the facility ran out. Before I could blink, people were flooding to the surface to catch the boat. I pulled the boat back to the dock, but there was no reason to. All of the people were already consumed by the blob that was bubbling to the surface. One of its edges touched the water, and the growth rate slowed. I took the chance to zoom out of there as fast as possible.

And here I sit, feeling empty in my apartment. All I know is that I'm NOT going to work tomorrow. I'm watching the news to see the status of the chemical. I've already called the police to inform them. I can't sleep at all, and Joshua won't answer any of my phone calls. Wait, the news. Just a second.

I . . . I just heard that the chemical evolved. I don't know HOW it might have done something like it, but it did. It used to be repelled by the salt in the water, but has adapted to it and now eats it up also. I'm going to leave my apartment and go inland, to stay away from it. I just hope that Joshua is watching the news, too.

--

I'm in Monticello Motel in Framingham, well away from the coast. I'm planning on staying one night, then continuing to New York. I just want to go to sleep.