19

I didn't want to go to school the next day, for it being the second day of December. But I was forced to wake up anyways, by Lucas. I curled up in my covers and I felt his arms scoop me up whole and put me upright on the ground.

"Stop touching me, you idiot!" I said, yawning before I could glare at him. He pulled away and scratched the back of his head. Grinning, he crossed his arms across his chest.

"You don't sound so fierce when you're sleepy, so pointing that out," he told me.

Muttering to myself, I went into the washroom and shut the door, locking it noisily and looking myself in the mirror. Urgh, I looked like such a mess. I wondered if Lucas recognized. Why did I care about what he thought, anyways? I long stopped caring about anything he said or did, now that he just cannot be trusted anymore.

I got changed for school and trudged downstairs, rolling my shoulders since I've been sitting forever yesterday night in the family room, finishing my article. I found Lucas in the kitchen, wearing a black crew neck sweater with NYC printed in white, and a Toronto Maple Leafs beanie. He was checking his phone and frowning as I went around the island, across from him.

"I wanna walk to school today," I told him.

He looked up at me. "You're insane," he said. "Why don't you want a ride? Are you grudging on me?"

No, i just don't like you. I didn't answer and looked away.

He put his phone away and walked up to me. "I didn't tell Brigit about the babysitting thing, okay?"

"Then who did?" I said, piercing my eyes. "She told me you were the one who told her."

"She was lying to you," he said. I looked at the granite surface of the island, not wanting to talk anymore. I looked up and observed his hat and sweater.

"Is there a reason why you decided to be so patriotic today?" I said.

"What?" he said, looking down to see his own crew neck. "Oh, it's just a coincidence. New York City is in America though. But I have the hat." I looked up at his white and blue hat. "I'm actually a fan of Toronto Maple Leafs."

"I've never seen their games before," I said. "Just the World Cup hockey matches."

He nodded slowly, looking at me and grinned. "I can buy us tickets one day," he said.

"No," I said flatly, starting to walk away. "Besides, wasn't I angry at you? Whatever." Lucas didn't allow me to walk and he literally forced me into the car. Talk about major coercion. I pouted in the seat as he reversed the car out of the driveway.

"That was bullying," I said, and sarcastically added. "Some anti‐bully guy."

"Relax," he said. "I hardly doubt you want to walk in the snow anyway."

I sighed and kept quiet, just ducking when I have to and looking at the snow‐covered trees. Winter can be both beautiful and a bitch. I proceeded with my daily routine of passing through the park and handing in my article. I went into the washroom for a while, stalling time like I did before I made any friends. Finally, I went into my math class and took a seat beside Sofia. I wasn't surprised to see the popular group already there with several other people.

"Are you coming to my house tomorrow?" Sofia asked me.

I shrugged. "I don't know about a weekday. Maybe on Saturday?"I suggested.

"Sure. I just want to invite you since you never came to my house before," she said. I stared at the desk, my hands in my lap. "Hey, is something wrong?" I didn't know why I wanted to believe Lucas when he said he didn't tell Brigit about babysitting me. I didn't want to trust him so easily, but...maybe it wasn't him. I don't know.