Tributes - John B. Davis

John Bloom Davis

Associate Professor/Chairman

Math/Computer Science Department

University of Wisconsin-Superior

January 13, 1947 – February 14, 2002

Author's Note:

My sincere appreciation goes out to Laura Davis for sharing her favorite picture as well as other information about her late husband.

Mr. Davis graduated from Michigan Technological University in 1969 with a Bachelor of Science degree in physics and received his Master's degree at New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, in computer science in 1984.

He taught for thirty-two years including Australia, Wayland Academy in Beaver Dam Wisconsin, Pacelli High School in Stevens Point Wisconsin, and at university levels. He married Laura Newhouse on June 12, 1971 and over the next thirty years they enjoyed raising three sons – Christopher, Ronald and Jeff.

As an Associate Professor at the University of Wisconsin-Superior in the Math/Computer Science department, he also served as chairman of the department from 1998 through 2001.

He served as a board member for the Douglas County historical Society and was very interested in the International Student Association at UW-Superior. He was a member of Holy Assumption Catholic Church and a member of the Lake Minnesuing Association.

He loved to downhill and water ski, read, travel, swim, sing in the church choir, build models and listen to music.

For those interested in donating or student(s) who would like to apply please check out the following:

John Bloom Davis Scholarship at University of Wisconsin Superior (UWS). 

For a student in computer science or mathematics who shows financial need and has at least a 3.0 grade point average.

Preference given to an international student first, and a woman second.