Royal Impostor

Princess Lauraèna sat down, her hands shaking, palms slick with sweat. Her heart pounded in her chest as she looked on the man she'd overheard plotting to kill the prince, and heir to the throne, her brother, Prince Jonathan. Angels above me, watch over my children, guide them aright, when they go astray, so that they may always be, in Heaven’s light. Amen, she prayed silently.

Coronation was tomorrow, if this meeting went wrong, she wouldn’t live to see her brother ascend to rule.

She took a deep breath and said, "Good day, Regent. Please, sit down."

"I'd prefer to stand, if it would please you, Your Grace," Regent replied coolly.

She shifted uncomfortably, adjusting the hidden wire underneath her dress. Her eyes caught a flicker of movement just behind Regent. She met the gaze of her adoptive brother, Reginald Uccisore, a vampire who feeds off the aura (or auras) that surrounds a person. He lurked in the shadows, hidden walkie talkie microphone raised to his lips.

"You make him uncomfortable," he whispered, and from across the room, he could gather Regent's thoughts. His special powers, mind reading and compulsion, had helped make her feel comfortable when she came to on his father's couch. His family had nursed her back to health from the tattered heap they had found washed up in the shallow river that ran through their property.

Oh I make him uncomfortable? That's rich, real rich, she thought sarcastically. Can you hear my heart pounding?! Because I'm sure he can.

"I can't, and his ears are too weak to hear, though if it concerns you that much, I'll let you know immediately if there is a change, okay?" he whispered.

I thought you said you could hook up a mental connection, making it easier for communication? she questioned.

"That would require you to have become one with me," he murmured quietly, his velveteen voice sending all visible fear from her countance.

Like marry you? Because that's not happening, she mentally hissed. Just don't forget your role in this scheme. Remember, if he attacks-

"I know, I know."

"Regent, good sir, I command you to sit," she said to Regent. He stiffened, and then sat rather cautiously in the chair opposite her.

"May I ask what would give me the honor to partake of this mid-afternoon snack with you, M' Lady?" Regent asked, fairly squirming with discomfort.

"Yes, well, I heard the most dreadful thing just last night, Regent. Something you said," she paused and took a breath. "I over heard you saying that you wished to kill my brother, your soon-to-be King! Would you care to explain, dear sir-"

Her voice choked off immediately as Regent's hands closed around her throat. With an earth-shattering roar, Reginald burst from his hiding place and tackled the assailant to the ground. A brief struggle ensued, as both men fought to gain the upper hand. Lauraena gasped, hand flying to her throat as the men rolled around on the floor, a flurry of vampire and human. Eventually they noticed the crowd that had gathered when Reginald uttered that fierce retort.

Both quickly got to their feet when they heard the clomping of heels as the King and Queen strode into view. The Queen flew to her daughter's aid holding her, letting her know things would be alright. Tremors racked Lauraena's body, causing her to shiver uncontrollably until the King's voice rang clear through the confusing, swirling mess her thoughts were creating in her head.

"Arrest him! Take him to the dungeon!" he cried pointing at Reginald.

"No! Father, he kept me safe during the time I spent with his family! His whole family did. I-I tripped, and Reginald came around the corner to see Regent catch me, accidentally grabbing my throat. True he overreacted, but he did nothing wrong," she begged. Reginald looked at her, confusion written on his face. Play along, she thought toward him, meeting his eyes for the briefest of seconds.

King Michael sighed, and seemed to contemplate throwing Reginald in the dungeon anyway, but sighed again and asked him, "Is this true?"

"Yes, Your Highness," said Reginald smoothly, bowing as much as the guards' bonds allowed.

King Michael sighed again. "Very well, let him go."

Reginald sighed slightly as his bonds were removed and immediately Lauraena flew into his arms, whispering "I'm sorry I put you and your family through this." He sighed.

"We chose to take you in, it wasn't your fault, it was ou-," he stiffened suddenly. "We need to get somewhere privately. This is of grave importance," he said for her ears only.

"Feeling faint?! We must get you to fresh air with utmost haste. Come, brother. Let us go to the rose garden. It is truly beautiful this time of year. Father, Mother, good-night," she said evenly. Will Alyssa meet us there?

"Yes, she will," he murmured quietly, allowing her to guide him. She slipped her hand through the crook of his elbow, gently guiding him through the confusing maze of hallways. Reginald could have walked them blindfolded, but he allowed her to guide him to add to the effect.

Once they arrived, Lauraena called, "Alyssa, we're alone." For a moment her old fear of vampires came back as she realized she was completely alone with two vampires who could incapacitate her at a moments notice. She heard Reginald chuckle softly.

"There's no need to be scared, Arie," he said, invoking her nickname from the time she spent at her adoptive family's home.

They turned to look at the landscape in the moonlight. A large yellow-orange full moon glared at them while illuminating everything in a rich reddish-orange color. The moon-buds, as she called them, bloomed fully as they watched, momentarily taking their breath away. A shadow detached itself from the view and soon took the shape of Alyssa. Her smooth, inky black hair stood out in stark contrast to the pale blue of her clothes. Her eyes also stood out sharply against her pale skin. Her perfect ruby red lips were sumptiously moist, her eyes were the greenest emerald known to mankind. A light touch of pink colored her cheeks. These features along with her lovely voice, and sweet personality made her irresistable to most men, married or not. You wouldn't know it by looking at her, for it didn't show, and wouldn't show for another few months, but inside her womb a small spark was beginning to grow.

"I had another vision. I was mistaken, Prince Jonathan isn't in the palace," Alyssa explained, breathlessly.

"What? If he's not in there, then where?" asked Lauraena, worry coloring her voice.

"Right here," said a new voice. A young gentleman jumped down from his perch in an apple tree. He stood a head taller than Reginald, head and shoulders above Lauraena. His skin was tanned from working the fields as a plowboy his whole life until that point. his lips were every bit as sensual as Alyssa's, though they lacked the natural red, instead they were a light pink, quite contrary to his eyes, which caused Lauraena to gasp.

(Flashback Lauraena's Point of View (POV))

A clear day, sun shining brightly through the dusty window pane. The doorbell rings. She answers it to find the most amazing boy she's ever laid eyes on. His eyes glimmered like a thousand saphires, in the deepest royal blue. Those eyes, which would make even the most steadfast-in-love girl shiver with pleasure as his luscious voice said her name.

(End Flashback)

"Whoa," she said quietly. "You're the paperboy who brought us the daily paper which had the article about me in it. I remember you because of your eyes. They're the deepest blue I have ever seen." And what started me obsessing over my own brother! She shuddered inwardly.

Beside her, Reginald shuddered as he recieved the message.

"So you're the long lost princess. I thought there was a resemblance," he said, voice causing the hair on the back of her neck to stand erect and at attention. Get a grip, Girl! she told herself roughly.

Remembering her manners she hitched up her skirts and curtsied to Prince Jonathan.

"Your Highness," she murmured.

He put his hands on her shoulders, causing her to look up into his face. A blinding flash and deafening boom seemed to come from all around them, everywhere and nowhere.