Chapter 6

I dumped my clothes into the furnace, the drab grey catching fire easily, the warmth hitting my face like a blanket. I was no longer Abnegation; the only reminders were my scars, mostly on my back.

"Come on, Tay. Let's go to dinner," spoke Christina, dragging my arm. We walked behind Four, who led us to the dining hall. It was a large hall filled with long black tables with metal trays on them. Christina, Tris, a guy named Will, a guy named Al and I all sat. The only spaces available were between a large group of Dauntless borns and Four, who sat on the edge of the table. Al sat opposite from Christina, Will sat opposite to me and Tris sat next to me, only one seat away from Four.

We sat down and all grabbed a hamburger. I started to load up my burger with cheese and ketchup when I saw Tris picking tentatively at it with a fork. Oh, Abnegation

"Have you never seen a hamburger before?" Christina questioned, a puzzled look on her face. Al and I both snickered.

"I've seen one, I've just never eaten one," Tris explained.

"Abnegation eat plain food. A plant-based diet with no sauces and a minimum of seasoning," Will explained.

"Which textbook did you swallow?" Christina inquired. Al and I both giggled and looked at each other as if to say 'This is going to be funny'.

"Nice to meet you too. I'm Will. Erudite" he answered, smirking.

"Of course you are," Christina retorted. "No offence but I don't think Abnegation even eats at all. Too selfish, right? No wonder you left."

"Yep. You are so correct. The reason I'm this tall is that I didn't eat at all and just did community stuff," I replied sarcastically. Christina stuck her tongue out at me.

"You've got to be quite self-confident to be friends with a Candor," Will stated.

"What's that supposed to mean?!" Christina demanded.

"You have no filter! You say the first thing that comes into your head," Will explained.

"Like, you're an idiot?" Al spoke. Tris, Christina and I all snickered.

"Nice one Al, at least we tell the truth." Christina giggled. Al smiled.

"Erudite can tell the truth because we have the facts-" Will was cut off from his rant by my brother.

"I don't wanna hear about your old factions. You're Dauntless now." Four finished.

"Were you a transfer too? Or Dauntless born?" Tris asked innocently. Oh God, she really didn't know.

"Are you kidding?" my brother questioned harshly.

"No," Tris looked around and answered.

"What makes you think you can talk to me?" Four replied.

Tris paused before answering, "Must be because you're so approachable." We all snickered. "You know, like a bed of nails," she retorted under her breath but we all heard.

"Careful," he replied as he sipped something from his cup.

"You my friend," Christina began, "have a death wish." 

"You know he was first in his initiate class and was offered a leadership position twice but he said no," Will explained in a hushed tone. We all continued to eat and Al made a joke about Edward and Myra, both Erudite transfers that seemed attached at the mouth.

"Why do they have to be so, public?" Tris said, disgusted. Al, Will, Christina and I smirked.

"Tris, your Abnegation is showing," said Will jokingly. "The rest of us are fine with some affection in public. You need to loosen up. Or you could stay frigid, you know."