Jack Kelly » Scared?

This one is also my JerJor Imagines book!

(Y/N)'s POV

Selling papes with the union leaderf from time to time was an experience.. To say the least. Since it was hard to hide this ever-growing crush I have for this boy.

Being the only girl newsie, always being around hormonal, flirty boys, making little to no money and so on. Still I was enjoying myself. It was better than being at my old house, I hate being aroung my alcoholic father who's treating me like I'm a dog.

Yup. This lodging house was 10x better. Actually having friends and people who care about me. Then there's Jack. He treats me like I'm his prized possesion. I don't know if he's doing this because I'm the only girl or because he genuinely likes me. I was fine with it either way, then he was becoming distant, not only with me but with the other newsies too.

“Hey Crutchie!” I greeted him as he was lacing up his boots. “Heya (Y/N)! How's da woild treatin' ya?” He asked, standing up with his crutch. “Not the best. Couldn't find Jackie boy this morning.” I responded. He patted my shoulder in a comforting way. “How's about you sell with me fo' da' day huh?” He offered. I smile in response. “I don't see why not.” After that we got out of the building and to the circulation center.

“Headline's not too bad today.” I commented. “I can eat two meals today!” Mush excitingly said, quickly getting in line.

After Crutchie and I got our papes we headed to his selling spot.

“BABY WITH TWO HEADS FOUND IN BROOKLYN!” I shouted. It wasn't the headline but was on the 3rd page so I wasn't lying. Immediately a woman grabbed the paper from my hand and handed me a dime. “Thank you miss.” I called out.

I hear Crutchie yell another unbelievable headline and an old man bought his paper.

A few more hours later, Crutchie and I were done selling. “How much you got?” I asked him, counting the coins I got. “Almost $1! It's almost unbelievable!” He smiled brightly. “Knew today won't be that bad.” I looked dead straight on the path, Crutchie noticed this. “Don't worry, Jackie will be back, he'll be up on the roof once we get there.” He said reassuringly.

“We'll see Crutchie, we'll see.” I gave him a quick smile as we continue to walk.

We arrived at the lodging house, seeing little to no newsies inside. Probably still selling since it's only 2pm or gone gambling with Race at Sheepshead. I sat on my bunk which was above Crutchie's. I was bored out of my mind, I wasn't used to selling so fast. So I did what a newsie would do, go out and buy bread for all of us since today was a good selling day.

“Hey Crutch?” I looked down. “Yeah?” He looked up. “I'll be right back, I'm gonna go get food.” I hopped off of the bunk and went towards the door. “Oh okay, see ya in a bit!” He called out as I exited the house.

Before I went to the bakery I usually get bread for me and the boys, I went to the nearest park to get fresh air and to clear my thoughts.

I sat on a bench, near a fountain. I stared into the distance, randoms thoughts passing by until they were interrupted by a person calling out my name.

“(Y/N)! (Y/N)!” I hear a voice call out, I didn't have to look to see whose voice it belongs. “Jack?” I turn around seeing a tired Jack running towards me. “I's been lookin' all day fo' ya'” He smiled. “W-Where have you been going? You keep disappearing.” I looked down at my shoes.

“I-I's been hiding at Medda's.” He answered, scratching the back of his neck. “W-Why were you hiding?” I asked, looking up at him.

“I's was scared...” He said, almost in a whisper. “Wait, what?! O-Of what? Of who?” I asked, examining him of any possible injuries. “You.” He looked at me making eye contact.

“Huh? W-What'd I do? I-If there's anything I did I am s-so sorry I-”

“N-No you's fine. I-It's me, I's the problem.”

I looked at him in confusion, “W-We's should sit down, long story.” He gestured to sit at the bench I was sitting at a while ago.

“Okay, uh talk.” I said, sitting down facing him.

“As I's was tryin' ta' say, this is a long story. But I's gonna put it as bluntly as I can.”

I nodded slowly.

“I-I's like you, a-a lot actually.” He laughed at himself. I feel my face heat up, I looked down trying to conceal my red cheeks. “Who would've thought the insanely flirtatious Jack Kelly would have problems with confessing love.” I looked at him. He was confused by my statement.

“Wha-What're you sayin'?” He asked. “I'm saying that, that was incredibly sweet of you.” I smile in his direction. His eyes lit up as I say these words. And I can tell ya they were two sparkly orbs as the sun was still bright. “And if you're gonna ask, yes Jack Kelly, I like you too.” I feel a blush spreading across my cheeks as I say these words.

He smirked at me. The flirty Jack Kelly came in to play... “Would ya' miss (Y/N) be my goil'?” I playfully roll my eyes at this statement. “Yes Jack I would.” I laughed.

“We better get going, I was gonna go get bread for the boys.” I stood up from my seat. “No, no, (Y/N), I's can pay for the bread. You's don't have to waste money for my boys.” He stood up grabbing my hand. “Jack, split or else...” I taunt him. “After all I'm the Queen of Manhattan if get what I mean.” I continued. “Ya' got me (Y/N).” I gave him a cheeky smile. “Let's go then!” I gave him a quick kiss on the cheeks. We walked all the way to the bakery and bought two loaves of bread and some butter since today's pay was actually great.

We walked back to the lodging house hand in hand. “Hey boys!” I yell as I open the door. “Hey!” The boys said in unison. “How's the most beautiful goil' in Manhattan doin'?” Race walked up to me. “Back of Race, (Y/N) needs a real man to handle her.” Romeo stepped in.

“Okay shooo off, I got you guys food.” I layed down the bread and butter on the small table. “Oh also I got another thing for ya guys!” I exclaimed. “Ya gonna be my goil'?” Race yelled. “No Race! But I did get him!” Jack walked in, cheers were heard from the newsboys.

“Where were's ya? We've been worried sick!” Crutchie exclaimed from the back. “I's been workin' up the courage to ask (Y/N) to be my goil'.” He smirked at the boys while he puts an arm around me. “Surely ya's didn't say yes!” Specs mocked. “Does this answer your doubts?” I said before pulling on Jack's collar and planted a sweet kiss on his lips.

Hollers and cheers were heard. After we pulled apart I hear Race say “Really? I's thought I's the one.” The room erupted with laughter. “Boys, stop with the hollerin' and let's get eatin'!” Jack exclaimed before a few “Oh yeah”'s were heard.

This was my life now. Union leader Jack Kelly's girlfriend, basically a mother of 20 and also a sibling of 20. This is what happiness is in my book.