Exile, Chapter 5

Sophie spun around, relieved when she found four figures still glittering from their leap into the pasture. Alden, tall and regal in his dark blue cape, stood beside a beautiful girl Sophie's age with long dark hair. On his other side were two teenage boys, one with dark hair and impossibly teal eyes, and one with carefully disheveled blond hair and his trademark smirk.

Biana and Fitz stared in wonder at Silveny.

Keefe grinned at Sophie. "Yeah, Foster's always doing crazy things no one can understand. It's how she keeps her sense of mystery."

———

Alden turned to Grady. "I'm sorry to be late. I'd hoped to get here before the Hekses arrived. But Fitz, Keefe, and Biana insisted on seeing the long-lost alicorn, and someone needed time to fix their hair."

"Hey, a guy's gotta look his best for the ladies." Keefe patted the back of his head. "Right, Foster?"

Sophie ignored him—though she could feel her cheeks blushing.

———

Vika snatched Sophie's wrist with a mud-streaked hand. "You wretched girl! Call her down right now."

"Why do you need my help? Aren't you the expert?"

Keefe snickered. "Ooh, good one, Foster!"

———

"Hey—what did I tell you two about secret Telepath conversations?" Keefe asked as he shoved his way between them. "Unless you're talking about me, keep it out loud."

Fitz laughed. "Keefe just wishes he could swap secret messages with you."

"Please, I don't need your little mind tricks. I can feel Foster's secrets"—he fanned the air around her—"and I feel some pretty intense emotions right now."

"Probably because I'm wondering if I should strangle you or beat you with my shoe!"

"The shoe would be funnier," Fitz jumped in.

Sophie smiled. "Might be a bad idea to do it in front of a member of the nobility, though."

"Nah—my dad would understand. I'm pretty sure he dreams about doing the same thing."

Keefe smirked at both of them. "Bring it on."