Claire and Present Danger

As much as I would've liked to help with Jim solving the Enrique matter, I had to plan out all the lessons I would be teaching next week to the freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors. Today was Saturday! I had two days to figure this out. Why did I think that this would be a good idea again? Well, I can't go back on it now. I'm just going to have to take this entire thing one step at a time and pray that I don't go insane.

        I've been working at this all day and I've only planned out the freshmen and sophomores! I still have the juniors and seniors to plan out.  While I was in the middle of planning out Friday's assignments for the juniors, I got a call from Toby. Picking up the phone, I answered, "I don't really have time for this, Toby. I'm only halfway done with planning out this weeks assignments."

        "Monica, Not Enrique told us that the goblins are after Claire and Jim is heading over to her house right now! Meet us there. If we're not there before you, just go ahead and search for Jim!" Toby explained and the phone hung up. My eyes widened and I dashed out of the house, grabbing Thriskule, and ran towards the Nunez home. I admit, I would've gotten there a lot faster if I had just taken my bike or even my car, but I was in a state of panic. 

        Once I got there, I searched around and I was about to head to the door when I noticed a back pack. It must be Claire's. I ran as I fast as I could in that direction.

        "Jim! Claire!" I called over and over again, but there was no answer. Further in, I heard noises. That had to be them. I pulled out my bow. I haven't yet unlocked it's full power, but it would still work as a normal bow, so that's something. It was so dark outside.

        "FOR THE GLORY OF MERLIN! WHERE ARE YOU?" I heard someone shouting. Jim! I ran in the direction of where I heard the yelling coming from. Then, I found them.

        Taking out my bow, I began shooting at the goblins.

        "Monica!" Jim shouted. I turned behind me and struck down a goblin that was sneaking up behind me. Suddenly, a flash of light whipped by me and Jim caught it. It was the amulet. Did that mean that the amulet he had with him earlier was fake?

        "For the glory of Merlin, Daylight is mine to command." Jim said. Claire and I watched amazed as the armor appeared on Jim. I snapped out of my daze and I pulled Claire behind me as I fought off the goblins that were approaching us at an alarming rate.

        "Get down!" Jim shouted. Claire and I got out of the way as Jim fought off the rest of the goblins. I mean, I've seen Jim fight before, but never like this. Soon enough, the goblins were destroyed.

        "What the- how the-?" Claire was at a loss for words.

        "Yeah. That cool thing I wanted to show you. This is it." Jim explained.

        "This. This is... Wow." Claire said.

        "Pretty much." Jim agreed. Claire walked up to him and touched the armor.

        "This was never a costume." Claire said and they both laughed. Costume? Jim would have to explain that one later. Then, I noticed a goblin sneaking up behind Jim. Luckily, he noticed it too and he sliced it.

        "Ugh. I hate those things." Jim said.

        "These things took my brother? Do you know where he is?" Claire wondered.

        "Yes... and no. It's complicated, but I can assure you he is safe." Jim assured.

        "The monsters... in your letter. They were real monsters." Claire said putting the pieces together. Letter? My mind flashed back to last week. I had gotten a letter from Jim, and I meant to read it, but I never got the chance. I was so preoccupied with moving out of my apartment, resigning from my previous job, moving back home, discovering about trolls, and getting a new job that I completely forgot about it.

        "No, not monsters. Trolls. And some of them are our friends." Jim explained. Claire began to hyperventilate and I understand why, This was a lot to take in.

        "Breathe." I said trying to calm her down.

        "This is-" Claire couldn't find the exact words too say.

        "Take a breath." Jim said also trying to calm her down. He was about to put his hand on her shoulder, but Claire shoved it away.

        "I should've believed you. Why does something that makes no sense make so much sense now? When you destroyed my house, When you missed so many rehearsals, you wore that knight suit to tryouts! Ugh! Like, being in a stupid play is suddenly some high priority." Claire groaned.

        "No, it is. The play must go on! We have to make it look like everything is normal. If people knew... I'm sorry, Claire, but you can't tell anyone about this. Not your friends, not your parents- " Jim explained, but he was interrupted by Claire.

        "What am I supposed to tell my parents about Enrique? That he's a change-thing? I don't even know what that is." Claire sighed.

        "Like I said, it's... it's complicated. But, I can assure you, he is safe." Jim promised.

        "Who else knows besides Monica? Toby, Strickler..." Claire wondered.

        "I'll explain everything later. You've been through a lot, but right now we have to-" Jim said. Then, there was hissing and a haunting whistle that brought chills to my bones was heard. Jim took out and ordered,

        "You and Monica need to run. Run back home and don't look back."

        "I'm not leaving you, Jim." I stated drawing out my bow while Claire picked up a stick.

        "Who's whistling?" Claire wondered. The whistling continued and we looked up at a tree so glowing yellow eyes. She was a changeling with long black hair and pink skin. She jumped down from the tree.

        "How cute. And they say chivalry is dead." She chuckled while pulling out her twin swords. She flipped up into the air and landed on the ground.

        "Run, Claire! Monica, keep Claire safe!" Jim yelled. I didn't want to leave him, but I needed get Claire out of here. We ran towards Claire's house as fast as we could.

        I felt like a coward for running and leaving my little brother to fight the changeling, but I knew that Jim was right. Claire needed to get to safety first, but as soon as she was safe, I was going to go straight back there to help him. I focused on my bow and I willed it to disappear and it did. Claire ran up to her house and yelled,

        "Mom! Dad!" And, we burst into the house.

        "Claire, what's wrong?" Her father questioned. We both out of breath.

        "It's my brother, Jim!" I panted. We dashed out of the house and back into the woods.

        "This way!" Claire yelled leading the way, "Hurry! He's over here!" I exclaimed as we went over to my unconscious brother. Oh no! This can't be happening. I should've never left. I'm a terrible sister.

        Tears streamed down my eyes as I picked Jim up, "Jim! Jim! Can you hear me? Jim, please wake up!" I cried.

        "Dad, Dad, call an ambulance." Claire said. I clutched Jim and pulled him close to me. Toby ran to my side. We saw Jim open his eyes, but he passed out again. The ambulance came and we rushed Jim to the hospital room. On the way to the emergency room, we kept telling Jim that it was going to be okay that he needed to hang on.

        When I was alone with Jim in his hospital room, I clutched Jim's arm and said, "I'm so sorry, Jim. I shouldn't have left you alone to fight that changeling." I took looked at the tattoo on my wrist and stated, "You chose wrong. I'm not worthy to wield your powers. I'm nothing but a coward." I buried my face into my folded arms resting on Jim's beside and cried into the night.