Bertholdt ━ Height Difference

EDITED

Sorry for the tall people, I'll have to make you short in this one-shot! Sarreh!

"Bertholdt, do you even want to continue this relationship?" You sigh.

"O-of course, I d-do. I l-love y-you, (y/n)." He says, stuttering and sweating.

"But we can't keep this a secret anymore. People will find out about us someday. And what I'm scared of is - what if people will not accept us? About you being tall and me being short?" You ask.

You've heard the harsh comments of other people before. At first, you thought it was silly. Why would people stoop so low as to bash the height gap? But now that you're with Bertholdt, your insecurities spike and you're afraid of the criticism directed toward you. What if Bertholdt changes his mind and leaves you?

He looks at you with concern. He is about to give you an answer but you turn away and start walking away from him with small tears forming in your eyes.

"(Y/n), please stay." You hear him beg.

"I-I have to go now. It's getting late." You reply with a quiet voice.

"B-but... Okay. See you tomorrow." He sighs as you walk away.

O ══════════════════ O 

Even though you were disappointed, you didn't stop seeing Bertholdt. You made sure to keep a discreet effort to hide your relationship and the affection to a minimum. Luckily, no one noticed the love between you two. You avoid eye contact as much as possible and you barely talk to him in public.

Bertholdt sits by the tree, patiently waiting for you to come. You two would do this every night - just sit, talk, and sometimes cuddle. Kissing is still unfamiliar for both of you as you are still getting used to your relationship.

When Bertholdt finally sees you, his eyes widen a little.

Why?

Why did you look so different?

It was because of the high heels.

"(Y/n)... You're..." He starts.

"I'm wearing high heels." You stated simply.

"B-but..."

"I wanted to be taller, Bertholdt. I'm too short." You sighed.

"But you don't have to-" He starts but you cut him off with a pleading look.

He just nods and takes your hand in his. You tighten your grip on his as you take a stroll. Along the way, you would trip occasionally and he would help you get back on your feet. Letting the wind guide you someplace, they take you to a nearby lake. The beautiful moonlight reflects on the water and it takes your breath away.

You spend the night in each other's arms with more affection than usual. Bertholdt has been nothing but a sweet gentleman, flooding you with compliments and boosting your self-esteem.  Having touch as his and your love language, you stay in each other's embrace for the entire night. When it was starting to get late, you get up and start walking back together. However, it takes you by surprise upon hearing something snap.

The heels of your sandals accidentally break and Bertholdt picks you up without hesitation. You assure him you could walk without them, but he insists and carries you all the way back. You couldn't help but feel a little guilty. If not for the high heels, you wouldn't be in this ordeal.

O ══════════════════ O

The next day, Sasha seems to have put two and two together after catching your subtle hints from across the room. In fact, not just Sasha, but almost every cadet in the mess hall. You make eye contact with Bertholdt every minute or so, a smile growing on both of your faces. To your surprise, everyone suddenly started cheering for you both and pushing you to each other.

They didn't judge. They didn't make fun of you. In fact, you think they ship you too much.

Who knew? All it took to have your first kiss was Connie cheering you and Bertholdt on.

"See, (y/n)? Height doesn't matter." Bertholdt says, smiling.

"Height is just a number." You say, smiling back as you hug him.