Chosen - Chapter Five

Chapter Five

*Six months later*

Suffolk England

The stiff bodice squeezed my rib cage while the petticoats hung heavy on my hips. No amount of tugging and pulling helped alleviate the uncomfortable feeling of not breathing.

"Stop fussing, Joselyn," Mother said sternly, watching from the wing-backed chair across the room.

"I shall stop fussing once I can breathe." I winced as the housemaid yanked the strings tighter. The table in front of me helped steady my balance and kept me from falling over with each painful tug.

"I'm sorry, Madame," the young girl mumbled.

"Not your fault."

"The dress is not meant to make breathing easy. It is meant to give you a smaller waist and a higher bosom."

"Yes, that is just what I want," I replied, tugging at the skirts again.

How else do you expect to attract a respectable husband?"

I rolled my eyes and sighed heavily. If only you knew what I really had to do.

"Mother, I am eighteen-years-old. I am not thinking about marriage at the moment, not to mention it would be nice to have a man who appreciated me for my mind and wisdom. I have plenty of time to worry about the nonsense of marriage later."

"You should. I was married and..."

I cut her off before she could finish. "And pregnant with me by time you were eighteen. Yes. You have reminded me daily since I returned."

I am an assassin! I kill people, mother! Husbands and children will not be my life. Get used to it.

"Yes. Well, you should be engaged by now at least. Everyone else's daughters of marriageable age are engaged or married. Imagine how your father must feel when he goes to court. Why do you think we sent you to France for so long?" She shook her head shamefully.

"Honestly, mother, I find it hard to believe everyone in King Cassius's court whispers about the Duke of Suffolk's unwed daughter."

"You are one of the most eligible women in all of England. Do you honestly think people do not speak of it?" She pushed the maid out of the way and pulled the ribbon on the back of the bodice tighter.

"Oh, for heaven's sake! I believe it is as tight as it will get!"

"Hush now, Joselyn. The bodice can always be a little tighter."

The even heavier gown was lowered over my head, resting at just the right spot on the hips to cause a terrible pinching sensation. The image staring back at me from the long mirror looked pitiful and sad. I scarcely recognized myself. My usual messy curls were intricately twisted and entwined with a long string of pearls. The dark blue gown had a mock train that extended just a short way behind me. The edges were trimmed in dark red velvet and the sleeves turned back reveling the black silk lining. The low-cut squared neckline showed quite a bit more of my bosom than I liked. Turning to the creaking lid on golden hinges, my mother stared at the assortment within the ivory chest with wonder in her eyes. She perused it as the housemaid held on tightly. She decided on a rather simple yet beautiful necklace that she and my father had made for my grand return to court. She clasped the pearl necklace with a ruby pendant around my neck with ease. The cold jewels sat heavily on my chest.

"You look lovely, Joselyn." Mother's smile spread across her face as she examined the work standing in front of her.

"Thank you." I looked past her at the heavily embellished green and red drapes that hung from my window.