Chapter 24

I had been in Montana that night but with the sleep I got, I made it to Virginia without stopping.. As I pulled into the neighboring town, I took my truck and camper off road and into the woods. I didn't want to attract suspicion.

       Once deep enough in the woods, I ran back towards Mystic Falls. I decided a good place to start was my old house. I would not be able to step inside since I had never been invited in but I could see how it had changed from the outside over time. I ran with the speed that only a vampire had to the house. It was deep in the woods. As I got closer to where the house was, I could not here anything. No heartbeats, no breathing, no noise of any kind. I slowed down to a human pace as I rounded the last trees. I could feel tears welting in my eyes.  

        The house was in ruins. My beautiful Victorian house was gone and crumbles stood in it's place. I walked over to it and placed a hand on a wall gently in case more were to fall. A single tear slipped from my eyes and more followed. This had been the house that I had been born in. The house where my mother and father had breathed there last breaths. Where my brothers and I had played at young ages. My home. And it was gone. I started to back away. I shouldn't have came back. It was too much to handle. Too much change. I just couldn't stand to see it. This town wasn't my home anymore. I started to run as the sun came up.

        Once I got back to the camper, I realized that I would not have enough strength to drive anywhere without sleep. I went to my fridge and pulled out a pack of blood. Damn it. Last one. I'll have to make a blood run soon. As I drank the blood, I instantly felt better but still tired. I decided that I would leave tomorrow after some sleep. 

        I went to the back and laid down. My eyes had started to close when I saw the ruins again in my mind. I wanted to flip the guilt off but I had been hiding it for too long. One night in guilt couldn't hurt me anymore than I had already been hurt. Thoughts crossed my mind. My family, my town, my friends, the people who had died because of me or what I am, my brothers. With the last thought the tears that I had earlier came back. I curled up into a ball on my bed and sobbed. It was the first time I had cried since the night I became a vampire.

        I needed comfort. But no one could give me that. My brothers didn't remember me, Anna was gone, for all I knew she had died And being who and what I am, I had no companion. In my complete solitude I drifted off to sleep with tears in my eyes and loneliness in my heart.