III.

"So Adam bit the apple. He was a man starved as he tasted the forbidden. Thus changing the course of everything that ever was and ever will be."

III.

Two weeks turned into setting up camp for a month. Thirty days of building a makeshift home here in this area. It was perfect to stay until we weren't safe anymore, it was the only solid plan we had. Everyone had more solid jobs around camp, whether it was cooking, on watch, doing laundry, or catching food to eat.

I typically enjoyed being on watch, it was peaceful and I had time to myself. Shane wasn't too keen of it and made sure I didn't go on watch at night. I argued at first but I did enjoy the daytime better anyways. Sometimes me and Dale would be on top of his RV on watch together. Dale was the sweetest old man and I had become quite fond of the stories he'd tell. I had grown close to everyone around camp over the past month. Everyone was kind and willing to step forward for any situation.
Recently a few members of the group left to go into the city to get more supplies but they were suppose to return two days ago but they had been m.i.a. We were all worried and some of us even talked about trying to go look for them but Shane shut that idea down right away saying we couldn't risk more people going out there and getting hurt. He had a point, although, no one would have admitted it, the people that went out could be dead for all we know.

"Hey, Carl, if mom or anyone needs me tell them I'll be back in a little. I'm gonna go down to the quarry." I tell my brother as he walks by with Sofia. He smiles and nods then continues talking to Sofia. They had grown extremely close over the month, they were best friends and they got along well with Morales' kids as well.

I go into mine and Shane's shared tent and grab my change of clothes. Sharing a tent had been tricky, my mom still didn't know I moved into Shane's tent. She thought I was sharing with another group member named Jacqui who had a tent to herself. I would stay up late way past the time Lori and Carl would go to sleep so it was easy to just go to Shane's tent. I had explained to Jacqui if I could use her for my lie so my mom wouldn't worry, it sounded bad and I was afraid she'd say no and tell my mom but she laughed and said it was okay. I only hid it from her because I knew she would suspect something, she was already keeping a close eye on us because we had grown pretty close. Part of me knows that it would probably look worse that I was keeping it from her as if there was something I didn't want her to know but at this point it was too late to fess up. Maybe there was something to hide, I mean the closer me and Shane got the more we flirted, the more he flirted. Neither of us had yet to make a move and part of me doubted he'd even feel that way despite his constant flirting.

As I get down to the quarry I set my stuff down on a rock nearby and strip my clothes off leaving me in my undergarments. The sun was shining and as I stepped into the water I sigh as it cools me down from the Georgia heat. I step further into the aqua blue water, finally submerging myself fully. I come back up feeling completely refreshed, I push my hair back from my face.

"Damn, am I late to the free show?" I turn to my right to see Shane with his hands on his hips and a huge smirk on his face.

"Just started." I smile at him.

"Well in that case," he slips off his shoes and rids himself of his clothes leaving him in his boxer briefs. He comes into the water and stands in front of me.

"Needed to cool down?" He asks as he cups some water in his hands and splashes it on his face. The water droplets trail down his chest and abs and I have to refrain myself from looking for too long.

"Yeah, it's hot as hell." He nods. I swim further away from him and he follows, dunking his head under water getting his hair wet.

"You trying to get away from me, darling?" He smirks as he comes closer and I quickly slip away. I shriek when he grabs my ankle and yanks me towards him.