115

16 Months Later

We had traveled the entire world, from the western sea, all the way out to the east.We had visited every village between the two, and had brought together an army of millions of men, young an old, ready to fight to the last man to take back the freedom that was rightfully theirs to take. As the sun went down on the last day of travel before we finally reached the center, we came to rest on the same cliff we had rested on so many years ago. I sat up against my sleeping dragon in the early hours of the morning, Amy came up behind me and tapped me on the shoulder.

"Are you ready?" She asked as she sat down beside me.

I shrugged.

"Not really, but we just can't wait any more. It's now or never." I replied.

"You know this isn't going to be easy." Amy said.

I sighed as I looked up at the stars that filled the sky, imagining the events that would transpire in the next few hours after the sun came up.

"I know. I just hope it ends up being worth it." I replied.

The two of us sat silently in the dark, with only the sounds of animals of in the distance as well as the soft cool nightly breeze to keep us company. I ran my fingers through the long, thick, lush grass as I shut my eyes and took a deep breath. 

"Are John and the others going to ride with either of us?" She asked.

"No. They're going to stay with the horses and fight on the ground with Jonah." I replied.

Again I fell silent, with nothing worth saying to say. I felt my heart pound out of my chest with every beat as the stress of what was to come got more and more intense with each passing second. Then, just as I started to let it all get to my head, Doron snapped his head up, followed by Veracon, then Ragon, then the others one by one. They all looked off in the same direction towards the center.

"What is it?" Amy asked.

My heart sank as Doron started snarling.

"Scouts. Fucking scouts! We've been spotted! Doron! Wake the men! Now!" I shouted as I jumped up and grabbed my bow.

Doron let out a deafening screech over the cliffs edge that echoed several times down the cliff. As I watched the men below start to jump up and mount their horses, Bailey came running up behind me.

"What's going on?" She asked as she tugged my shirt.

"Scouts have spotted us. We have to move. You take Magar, and you stay close to me. If I wave you off, you turn around and fly to safety. Do you understand?" I said as I placed both hands on her shoulders.

She nodded her head silently.

"Good. Doron, let's get down there." I said as I ran up his wing.

He leaped off the cliff and dove down the side, coming down to land just in front of Jonah. I slide down the dragons wing and came to face him, as well as John, Easton and Theodore.

"Now?" Jonah asked while rubbing his eyes.

"We've been spotted by scouts. We have to move now or we wont have enough surprise to catch them off guard." I said frantically.

Jonah's face changed from annoyed to concerned. He nodded his head, and pulled me in for a hug. We hugged for several seconds, before we both silently took to our mounts. Not long after, most of the men had risen from their sleep and mounted their horses, and were now waiting for orders. I looked over Doron's side and gave a war cry as I held out my bow. The men answered with a deafening roar as they started galloping past Doron as the sun started to rise over the horizon. Jonah gave me a quick glance before he, John, Theodore and Easton took off and joined the endless mass of warriors.

"Fly!"

Doron screeched wildly as he spread his wings and took off. We were shortly joined by the others who flew in behind us. The light of the sun was blinding as it exposed itself, replacing the dark of the night. We flew for what felt like for ever, my heart beating out of my chest the entire time. The sun had risen in what felt like a second, and when we came over the crest of a tall hill, we were greeted with the sight of a wall of shields, and chanting soldiers, dressed in bright red and silver armor.