Chapter 21: Mental XIV

(F/N) POV

Ruby: "You were going to propose?"

(F/N): "Yep. I was..."

Ruby: "What happened?"

(F/N): "Remember the hourglass? Ever wonder how I knew she was standing there? Well it was at the end of their fourth year...

I saw it as my last chance to win her over, I asked to talk to her there, I grabbed my ring and went to see her, giving it to her was to show that I was serious about it. It's a really old tradition giving rings, it was a sign of love but people stopped doing it centuries ago, now they don't even have weddings... I miss those cakes. But anyway, the ring I was going to give her was made from the same material-."

Ruby: "What? Is something wrong?" I almost said a bit too much.

(F/N): "No, I'm good...

It was a special material, rare, beautiful, just like her, only difference is she's gone and the ring is still around here, I have no idea where it is because it was hidden by drunk me. I asked her simply if she wanted to see a movie, just the two of us, and in response she said she wasn't interested in a relationship. You know how some doors in the tunnels have emblems on them? Summer had one, it was selfish but I wanted her to stay with me here at Beacon, it was completely furnished, ready for her, and now it's empty. After she gave me her answer I drank the night away in that room, don't remember what happened, but I knew the words 'not interested' played in my head.

Yeah, then she later ends up being with Tai. The thing that bugs me the most about that is I don't know if she forgot about me before she ended up with him. To think she never had feelings for me while I was falling for her over time, if she had just been honest and said what she wanted to, that she had feelings for someone else or something, then I would have let go. It would have taken time but I would have moved on, instead years later I see her kid, learn about her death from them, and then start hallucinating her."

Ruby: "(F/N). I didn't know my mom that well, but I do know what Yang has told me, and I think mom never meant to hurt you by leaving."

(F/N): "Yeah." I changed my age to a young adult, surprising Ruby. "I'm sure she would have stayed if I looked like this."

Ruby: "You're older?!"

(F/N): "Ozpin gave me back some of my freedom."

Ruby: "Whoa, still I don't think your appearance would have changed it." I look at her annoyed which causes her to panic. "I-i-i mean you look amazing! It's... just not all on the outside."

(F/N): "Oh really? You're telling me I can't win over most girls with my looks alone?"

Ruby: "No, but if what you said was true then mom wasn't like most girls."

(F/N): "Then what is it? Am I a jerk? Is it the fact I'm stuck here at Beacon? Do I drink too much?"

Ruby: "Sometimes, partially, and possibly. But don't you remember how you saved me? The time you helped Blake in the tunnels? What about when Velvet was getting picked on? All those times you did what any good guy, any Huntsman would have done, you came to the rescue."

(F/N): "Yeah, me a Huntsman, Ozpin would have a laugh at that idea."

Ruby: "Okay maybe you aren't a hero, but you did the right thing, you didn't just standby and watch as people needed help, so in my book you are."

(F/N): "So then why did Summer leave? If it's not on the inside or outside, that only leaves her."

Ruby: "You said you told them about Snow, maybe she was scared about starting a family with you."