Chapter 23: Expectation of Expecting

Your P.O.V.
It was around 5 months after Kara got the results that you were both having a kid. The thought thrilled you, a family. It would be an entirely new challenge. Kara stopped going out in the field when she started to experience her water almost breaking, since then Brainy and someone named Nia, who goes by Dreamer, started doing the work. Kara stayed home with you while you finally had a job as J'onn's partner as a P.I. and it would seem to be a good job as well. You also married Kara a month after the tests came in, you both were thrilled to finally be together. You managed to see Darkness, as (he's/she's) called, only two more times. (He/She) explained in his last visit that (he/she) was created from the Negative Bomb that Nekron activated and the energy of Dark Matter. It gave (him/her) Nekron's infinite knowledge and Dark Matter's care for humanity. (He/She) also shares their traits, such as Scythe wielding and Dark manipulation. There was also some good news with the general, good news for you and bad news for her. She got removed from the DEO for using an illegal truth telling alien on humans. Everything was going well at the apartment.

It was a sunny day with slight overcast, Kara was down at the hospital today for some tests and you were left at home with Dexter. You wandered to the window and basked in the sun, something you sometimes couldn't do at your house. It was a rare experience and you enjoyed it. Dexter was resting on the couch and you were going to join him until there was a knock on the door. Dexter perked his ears up with curiosity in his eyes, you went to the door and peered through to see who it was. It was an African American man with a grey trenchcoat and a shirt with the England flag on it. You asked "Who is it?" "Is this Kara's room? Or did I get the wrong place?" he asked. "This is Kara's place, I'm her (husband/wife)." you said. "Her (husband/wife)? I didn't realize she was married. Can I come in?" he asked, you opened the door and asked "What's your name?" "Manchester Black." he replied.

You knew exactly who he was now. "You're the one who had a personal vendetta against Lockwood aren't you?" He entered the room as you asked him this and he replied with a simple, blunt "Yes." You had no way to defend yourself if he was to attack you, he said "I have come here to thank you." This shocked you, it left you speechless, he continued "You helped capture Lockwood. And your friend cleared his mind of anger, in the process I got to hear his screams of agonizing bloody murder. He felt grief for killing my wife, and even though I couldn't kill him it was enough to make me satisfied." You didn't know how to react, but you could understand his pain. If you had lost Kara to someone like Lockwood, you'd be hunting him or her down just as Manchester did. He said "Well, I'm off. Thanks to Marsdin's bail I'm going to Metropolis. Can you tell Kara 'Thank you' for me?" "Yeah, I will." you said. With one last thank you, Manchester headed out.

Coincidentally after he left you got a phone call, you picked up the phone and said "Hello?" Alex answered with a frantic "Kara's going into labor." "I'm on my way." you said as you rushed out the door. Manchester was already out of the building by the time you stormed down the stairs. You headed in to the street and, since you didn't have a car, ran straight to the hospital.

Alex's P.O.V.
(F/N) is on his way and my sister is in labor. Normally I'd be happy when someone goes into labor but I'm not sure how the baby will be: will he or she get sick from the atmosphere? Will he or she have powers? All these questions circled through my head until (F/N) showed up. I could tell (his/her) heart was racing, as was mine, especially when the nurse came in. She said "Mrs. (L/N) is in the next room. The operation will be taking place, so you just be seated outside." We both nodded our heads and sat in the chairs. I said "She'll be fine (F/N), she's strong." "I know." (F/N) responded. To pass the time I decided to talk about timelines. "Hey (F/N)?" "Yeah?" "Do you ever imagine what it's like if things were different?" I asked. (He/She) looked at me and said "Like if I never met Kara or if Lillian didn't chose me as her personal guinea pig?" "Yeah." "Well there'd be a lot of different things. The Lanterns wouldn't have had a vendetta against us, Dark Matter wouldn't have set National City on fire, Liberty would be out and about causing a ruckus, Dark Matter wouldn't even exist, nor would Darkness, and the President would be Mr. Asshat." "You also might not have met Kara." "Yeah, but who knows. Maybe a different timeline has some of same things. " (F/N) said.

Some time passed until Brainy, Nia, James, Lena and J'onn showed up. (F/N) hadn't met Nia, James or Lena yet so they were talking and getting to know each other. Everyone was worried and anxious in their own way, until the nurse came back. She said "Mrs. (L/N) has requested her (husband/wife), sister and...J'onn see her for the next half hour." The three of us got up and headed in the room. Kara was there, laying in the hospital bed with a baby in her arms. J'onn was smiling while (F/N) and I went next to Kara. She said "He's beautiful, isn't he?" "He has his (father's/mother's) eyes." I said. I saw (F/N) and I didn't need X-Ray vision to know (his/her) heart was racing. (He/She) was smiling and a few tears trickled down (his/her) cheeks. Kara said "What should we name him?" "I'm... I'm not sure." (he/she) said. J'onn and I were thinking the same name, J'onn knelt down beside Kara and looked at the baby. He was fast asleep with a red blanket around him, J'onn said "How about Jeremiah?" Kara looked at him and said "Yeah, Jeremiah." "I like it." (F/N) said. I knelt down next to J'onn and said "Welcome to the family Jeremiah (L/N)."

A/N: Whoo boy. That took a little while. Anyway there's two chapters left and being me I'm gonna release em on the same day. So this is technically your second last chance to vote for the next book in my conversations. But aside from that have a great day/night. :)