Ellie's Year

(Anyone who gets the title and the storyline, I love you. But I AM going to point out---any coincidence was made BEFORE I noticed the similarities. I titled it after realizing it matched the story. I AM NOT COPYING.)

~A year later~

"I still can't believe I had to re-learn all my powers' powers." I groan, rubbing the ache in my side from using my powers for the last three hours. 

Dad smirks. "Well, you wouldn't've had to if you didn't---"

"DAD! For the last time, I didn't give my powers to them on purpose!"

He gives me a sure-dear-whatever-you-say look. 

"Ellie, remember, you have to focus." My mom reminds me. 

"I know, Mom. I've had your powers my whole life. I know how to work them. I just need to get them right again." I say. 

"Then try again." She says. "And please... don't freeze my flowers again."

My mother had already had to replace her garden five times until we wised up and moved to the courtyard of her castle, where everything was already frozen. 

Ben had offered to let me practice at Auradon Prep, but I haven't been to Auradon Prep in almost a year because of how bad I was after I got my powers back. I'd been in extreme medical care for at least three weeks before I'd finally woken up to everyone freaking out because my heart had stopped right before I'd opened my eyes. I wasn't allowed to talk to anyone before they gave me a complete check-up and the swished me out of Auradon and brought me here to "recover".

"I still don't see why I'm not allowed to go back yet." I grumble. 

"We've told you, your body needs a chance to heal." Mom says. 

"I'm fine, Mom! I could go back right now if I wanted to!" I say. 

"No, you can't!" Dad snaps. "If it was my choice, you'd never see That Boy again!"

"His name is Carlos, and it wasn't his fault!"

"I don't care! You're never going to Auradon Prep again! He nearly killed you!"

"A coma is not the same as killing me." I say.

"I wasn't talking about that coma! I was talking about what happened in Aurad---" He goes dead silent. 

"What?" I ask. 

I can practically hear Mom's panic as she says, "Oh, nothing. Now, try and hit the target, please?"

"What, Dad?" I ask. 

"Well..."

Mom puts a hand on his shoulder. "Maybe it's time we told her all that happened."

"What happened?" I demand. 

Mom sighs. "I think it's best we go inside. It's a long story."

___________________________________

"Well, start off where you remember, Ellie." Mom says once we've all sat down in her living room on her squishy un-meltable snow cushioned couch with her Marshmallow's complementary hot chocolate recipe. I still have no idea how he makes this stuff. 

"I remember Dude hitting me and it hurt, but it wasn't that bad until Carlos hit me and I remember seeing him on the ground. And then... waking up. Three weeks later." I say. "Now, what happened  that was so bad that I had to stay away for a year?"

"Well..." Dad glances at Mom, who shakes her head so hard I'm surprised it doesn't fall off. 

"Well..." He repeats.