Chapter 6a

My brain stuttered as I ran through the dark forest. Practiced feet were the only thing keeping me from slamming into trees or getting lost. When I reached the clearing of the lake, I finally stopped and gazed out at the half moon casting its silvery light upon the water.

Both Sember and Siena found peace here, but for me, it was a place to herd children away from, lest they drown themselves. I did enjoy the lake when I was little, though. When I used to hang out with my two Gifted friends.

Fen's words crept back into my head like a stealthy cockroach.

You have her eyes.

Brown, unremarkable eyes, I told myself. They could look like anyone's.

Nineteen years ago.

That was a coincidence I found harder to ignore. I never told Fen my age, did I?

I shook my head and picked up a small, pale rock.

When I allowed my thoughts to toy with the idea that Fen could be telling the truth, of what his implications meant, my mind seemed to trip over itself.

I flung the rock, attempting to skip it across the water's surface. Plunk. I picked up another rock.

Was that even possible? That some stranger would show up all of a sudden and claim to know my mother? Not only that, but recognize me as the abandoned daughter?

I angled my arm and propelled the rock across the water. Plunk. I was rusty at this. When was the last time I skipped rocks on the lake?

Even if what Fen said was true, why was he telling me this now? Why was he even here? He kept dodging the question. And then there was Galen's persistent sense that Fen was dangerous somehow. As much as my gut kept telling me I could trust him, all the clues said I was wrong.

And yet I couldn't shake the sense that maybe I was right on some level. That, despite whatever reason brought him here, he might be telling the truth. That he might actually know my mother.

I found a flatter rock, smooth on all sides, and sent it spinning. The rock skittered across the water's surface, disappearing into the dark.

I pumped a fist over my small, pointless victory.

The unwanted thoughts came crawling back into my head. The ones I thought I'd pushed out long ago. What was so wrong with me that my own mother would abandon me with complete strangers? Not only that, why would she get rid of me, only to raise someone else's child? It made no sense!

My hands formed fists.

No sense at all.

I looked behind me into the dark forest, back in the direction of the small cabin where Fen waited, still bound.

Maybe it was time I did something besides talk to get some answers.

Uh oh, sounds like she might do something more drastic than voting...