Ch 39: Iron Bars And Red Strings

Minjae

"Okay, so tomorrow is the trial. What will we do?" I questioned. There was no way I was Aria gonna have her way. No one of us would let that happen. But we need to find a way to outsmart her.

"Jimin can testify as a witness. He saw what happened" Teya stated. That is true but I do think we need another plan.

"For some reason, I think Aria is gonna have a trick up her sleeve" Taehyung pointed out. I could see that he was truly lost in his thoughts. After what happened today Taehyung could never manage to look at Aria. Or even be in her presence, so he has sent her home. 

When the trial comes tomorrow he will see her again.....the person he is forced to marry.

"All we can do is just wait for tomorrow to come. I know that it won't be easy. But for now, we have Jimin to testify as a witness. We just have to see how it's gonna go, but I will not put Y/N in danger. She won't die tomorrow..... Not if it depends on me." I could feel the heavy burden on Taehyungs shoulders as he spoke. I slowly walked up to him placing my hand on his back with a smile.

"Let's head to bed everyone. Tomorrow is a very important day" I spoke looking at the others as well. We all agreed and Jimin, Teya and I left Taehyungs room. I watched Teya and Jimin walk away from me before making my way to the cells.

"H-High commander" One of the soldiers that were on night duty spoke, being startled to see me.

"You're working hard I see" I smiled making him bow his head.

"I would like to see a certain prisoner by the name of Y/N" I ordered but his facial expression changed.

"Oh... It's not allowed to see prisoners around this time" I couldn't help but laugh at what he said.

Do you wanna get kicked?

"Don't you think I know that?" I chuckled slightly bumping his elbow.

"I wasn't asking. It was an order" I spoke my voice stable and serious. I had no time to play around with them. He gulped hard before handing me the key and letting me walk past him and another guard.

As soon as I reached her cell there were two more guards standing there.

"I want a moment alone with the prisoner" I spoke pointing at Y/N as I made my way to her cell. Both of the guards nodded their heads and bowed before leaving their position.

"Minjae...?" Y/N questioned standing up from her seat. I smiled clasping my hands around the iron bars between us.

"Are you okay?" I asked. She nodded her head looking at my worried expression.

"Nothing is worse than the cells in Ozryn. This is luxury" She stated making me chuckle.

"Tomorrow is the trial. Are you nervous?" I asked her but without even hesitating she shook her head. 

What to expect from Y/N. It seems like she is scared of nothing. Not even death...

"Y/N I actually want you to promise me something....." I spoke nervously. 

What I am about to say is a decision I made of my own. I didn't discuss any of it with the others. Not even Taehyung.....but it's the only way to guarantee her freedom and safety.

"What is it? "she asked me as she leaned her face closer.

"During the trial I want you to keep quiet..... Don't say anything. Let us take care of this for you. But if things go wrong... You need to announce one thing for me. When I look at you and nod my head. That's the sign for you to announce...."

"Announce what?" she asked tilting her head slightly to the side.

"A trial by combat" I spoke clearly. Her eyes widened a bit as she furrowed her eyebrows in confusion.

"What is that?" she questioned me making me smile. 

I'm truly happy that she doesn't know what it is. This way she can not decline me and just have to trust my words.

"The only way for you to win this. Just promise me. Once I give you the signal you speak up and say that you demand a trial by combat." I explained. She nodded her head obeying my words.

"Good... I have to go now. I will see you tomorrow" I smiled before taking my leave.

-----------------------------------------

For some reason, I didn't make my way to my room..... But Jungkooks one. I stood in his room looking outside while my hands held a cup of wine.

"You better be save" I muttered before placing the silver cup against my lips and taking a sip of the astonishing liquid. A knock was heard on the door making me lose my attention towards the view. I turned around placing the cup down before walking my way towards the door. I opened it seeing one of the servants with a thin piece of paper in his hand.

"Oh, high commander," he spoke surprised while bowing his head. I slightly bowed my head looking at him in curiosity. I wonder why he would come to see Jungkook if he was here.

"The commander Jungkook received a letter..." he spoke showing the paper he had in his hand. It had a beautiful red string around it while it was nicely rolled up. 

There is only one person who does this...

"Ah you can hand it to me" I smiled sticking out my hand. The young man did as ordered and bowed once again.

"Have a great night" he smiled making me return it. I closed the door wandering around the room with the letter in my hand.

"Should I open it?" I asked myself out loud. I mean Jungkook wasn't here and he always let me read his letters once he has opened them. Since I know that it was his dad who has sent it I was just dying to know what it said.

After fighting with myself for 15 minutes I decided to read the letter. I removed the beautiful red string before unfolding the paper and laying my eyes on the neat handwriting.

Dear son,

How have you been? The weather these days is truly in my favor. The house came a far away already. I can't wait till I'm finally done with it. How is it going there? You're not working too hard right? And make sure to stay safe. I know that you're a commander but don't forget about your own safety and well-being as well. How is my future daughter-in-law doing? You always seem to write more about her than about yourself to me. I'm sure she is just as beautiful as you describe she is. My men and I recently started working on the balcony that I promised. You always told me that Minjae would want a house with a big balcony cause she is such fond of nice views. Do you think she will be happy with it? Your old man is working hard, isn't he? Don't worry I'm also making sure to add the things you want. I do have some questions for you. What kind of flowers does she like? The garden is coming along very well but I am lost when I think about the flowers that I need to plant. Does she like roses? Or perhaps daisies?

Anyways just make sure to stay safe my son. And give my greetings to my beautiful daughter-in-law as well. You guys both need to stay safe and healthy in order for me to see you one day. May the gods watch over you both.

Here I was smiling like an idiot while shedding tears.