"Good morning, it's great to meet you." I replied, giving her hand a shake.

"How was the trip?"

"It was good, Mitch was very kind meeting me at the airport. Thank you for arranging that."

"Absolutely! Please come inside, Mitch has likely taken your bags to your room." She said.

I followed Dr. Lamb up the stairs into the building.

The air conditioning welcomed me and caused a light chill to ride up my skirt.

Nurses and doctors were floating in and out of rooms holding clipboards.

Everything seemed calm, and that relieved me.

I imagined it'd be bleak and dreary with evil doctors and insane mental patients running around.

I obviously watched too much TV.

Dr. Lamb turned into her office and had me take a seat. The first few minutes were dedicated to boring paperwork that HR needed. I mindlessly signed the papers she set in front of me.

Finally, she handed me a large binder she said would guide me through getting to know my patients. She explained that the doctor I was replacing had taken copious notes.

"May I ask why she left? I know positions don't open up here too often." I said.

"Dr. Wilcox had a very bright mind, however, this place is not for the weak. We work with the dregs of society. Everyone here, has committed unspeakable crimes."

I felt my brows twitch in confusion. Yes, this was a place that held criminals, but as doctors we weren't supposed to call them dregs of society. We understood that there was something wrong with them, and they needed help.

"Dr. Wilcox had some of the tougher patients. One of them being Kristopher Marner. I'm sure you've heard of The Doll Collector."

Of course it was Kris.

"Yes, I remember his case quite clearly."

I was the case.

"As women we know that men can drive us crazy. Well, he literally drove her crazy."

Kristopher.

"And he'll be my patient?" I asked.

"Yes, but I'm confident that you'll be able to handle it. Dr. Cuevas spoke very highly of you. She said you were great with the tougher patients."

I nodded and smiled. Compared to the trouble Kris was, the other patients were a cake walk.

"Come now, I'll give you a tour of the facilities."

She placed the binder in my arms and led me back into the hallway.

There was a small hint of lemon in the air. The wood floors were shiny underneath our feet and echoed the sound of our heels.

Patients were sitting in the recreation room either watching TV or reading a book.

For being killers, they were rather relaxed and normal looking.

Dr. Lamb explained that patients had two hours to do as they chose, then they were directed to their therapy sessions. Any other time was either spent inside their rooms. It was the only space they felt truly in control. Patients could not go outside during non-recreational hours and any authorization to do so came directly from her.

There were cameras all over the hospital except in our offices, and the rooms we held therapy sessions in. Sessions would be for one hour, any longer was at the discretion of the psychiatrist. All medication was kept locked in the pharmacy and could only be accessed during operating hours.