Down on the Field

We pulled up to the school five minutes later and Scott, Stiles and Kiera soon left to change into their uniforms. After separating with them, Malia and I made our way to the lacrosse field with the majority of the school. Malia looked a little uncomfortable. She came to Beacon Hills a little over a four months ago and quickly became a member of the pack, and Stiles' girlfriend, but she was still adapting to life as a human.

"So is Kiera the first girl on the lacrosse team or have there been others?" She asked.

"I think there were a couple about eight years ago, but she's the only one since I've been here." I replied.

"I wonder how the rest of the team will react."  She looked anxiously at the side of the field the team would arrive from.

"Oh, I think she can handle whatever egotistical thing they decide to say." I said over the noise of the crowd, who had just spotted the opposing team's bus pull up. "I'm more worried about the one member of the team who decides to make a move on her."

"Just one?" Malia said skeptically.

" Do you honestly think that another guy's gonna hit on her once they've seen Scott beat the living crap out of the first one? " Malia laughed a little before our conversation was ended by the arrival of both teams on the field. 

Our voices blended in with the screams of the other onlookers as we either cheered for the team or screamed in outrage at a bad call. I found myself watching Stiles throughout the game, noticing the fluidity he moved with while he played. It was almost graceful, but not quite since I'm determined that it was impossible for Stiles to be graceful.

Then all of a sudden everything got really quiet. My whole body seemed to be paralyzed within the quiet. With seeming difficulty I looked around at the people in the crowd,but none of them seemed to notice the disturbance.

I looked out onto the field and saw the players were just as oblivious as anyone else. That's when I heard it.  The horrible gushing sound of something metallic burying itself in skin.

I turned to Malia, grabbed her forearm and said, "Someone's being murdered. "

She looked at me with a confused looked. "WHAT!" she shouted at me, her voice echoing across the field.

" I hear... something" I said without raising my voice. " Something horrible" The gushing sound ringing in my ears with renewed vigor as I turned my head towards the line of trees around the field.

At the moment a pale, almost stark white figure appeared at the edge of the trees. From my spot on the bleachers it was hard to make out any specific features, but he appeared to be completely bald and dressed in black, so from a distance you could only see his head. But the most memorable and disturbing feature,  he appeared to be lacking a mouth.

Before I could alert Malia to his presence, he raised a large axe that I hadn't noticed before.  In a split second, he raised his arm and flung the axe across the field and with one final horrible gushing sound,  planted itself deep into the back of a player.

The quiet was finally broken by gasp from the ground. Everything was still for a few moments as the player collapsed on the field. I looked back at the tree line again, but the figure was gone.

A chilling scream then rose up from the crowd as blood started to pour our onto the field and people started toward the body.  This scream for once was not my own.