94

"Come on! Let's follow her!" Amy said excitedly as she ran up Veracon's wing

"Agreed! Before they get to far!" Tahli added.

I nodded and ran up Doron's wing with my bow in hand as Bailey and Magar got higher and higher.

"Fly!"

Doron gave a quick caw to the remaining six dragons and Veracon and Ragon took off. Doron spread his wings and took off as the younger dragons followed him up. By the time we were all air born, Magar and Bailey were no where to be seen. Tahli shook her head as she looked around for the young dragon. I looked around frantically before I heard a screech come from through the clouds. Amy started pointing up before Veracon disappeared through the clouds above. I turned to Tahli, she nodded her head, then we both pitched up and breached the clouds. I was greeted with the sight of Magar circling around Veracon as the two exchanged a series of clicks and caws. Doron flew up to just below Magar, just enough so I could see Bailey on her back. She looked down at me and smiled.

"Look where you're going!" I shouted with a grin on my face.

Magar screeched repeatedly as she swerved back and forth playfully. I could see Bailey clinging to her spines for deer life, but with a huge smile on her face. Doron flew upwards until he was wing to wing with the much smaller Magar. He silver accents and stripes lining her wings, back and scales gave such a strong reflection that it was rather difficult to look at it for long. We all dove back down below the clouds and were greeted with the sight of the never ending plains below, with the forest and clouds way off in the distance. 

"Let's head back!" I shouted to Amy while cupping my hands around my mouth in a futile attempt to increase the range of my voice.

She gave the thumbs up, before Veracon banked down to the right and began head towards the river, with Ragon close behind. The other dragons followed close behind them, but Magar stayed right beside Doron instead of joining the others. Bailey and I locked eyes for several seconds. I felt a smile involuntarily creep across my face, as her face did the same.

"Good job!" I shouted to her.

Her smile grew wider.

"Thank you!" She shouted back.

We caught up with the others and flew back to the river. By the time we got back, it was mid afternoon. There was a thick, cool breeze that whipped through my hair as Doron set down beside the water. As I dismounted, Jonah came running from the water to greet me.

"Hey!" He shouted as he wrapped me up in his arms.

"Hey, nice to see you again." I said as we embraced each others company.

"How was it?" He asked.

"Good. They all did pretty well. Magar even managed to kill two at once." I said.

Just as I finished my sentence, Magar set down in front of Doron and bowed her head in submission as Bailey stumbled off.

"No way... Really?" Jonah said in disbelief.

"I know. She's a lot smaller than Doron was when I rode him for the first time." I replied.

"Jonah! Jonah! Jonah! I flew with Magar!" Bailey exclaimed as she ran to join us.

"I know! I See! How was it?" He asked as he dropped to one knee.

"It was good. Scary, and lots of wind and clouds, but it was really fun!" Bailey replied.

He snickered, before giving her a hug as he stood up.

"I'm proud of you kid." He said softly as he kissed the top of her head.

I was usually a difficult person to get to show emotion, but I must admit, this caused a tear or two to well up. I walked over to the two of them and joined in their hug. For a moment, I felt as I did when I was with my parents, and my sister so many years ago. 

"We've lost many good people, and will loose many more. But no matter what happens, we never give up on each other. Okay?" I said as I stepped back to face the two of them.

"I'll never give up." Bailey said in an unusually serious voice.

I half grinned for a moment.

"I know." I said.