Chapter 4

[Kendall McGuire]

[Kendall McGuire]

Trying to look away from Alyssa, I mumble, making sure that she doesn't understand my words. "Well, I... I think you're special."

She frowns at me confusedly, hinting that I should probably be clearer while talking. I know, she shouldn't make a big fuss out of it, but, after all, she's quite right. I should be talking louder.

"I mean, I enjoy every single time with you. That's it." Alyssa is frowning, much to my annoyance, but I still pretend everything is okay. After all, we're friends and I'm not very keen on doubting about her and her qualities.

***

Since we're done with Truth or Dare, and Chiana is supposed to leave now, Alyssa wants to do one last thing with me alone before we call it a night. I'm not sure what her intentions are, but, whatever they are, I'm sure they're good ones.

She pulls me aside, whispering in my right ear, "Are you sure you really mean what you said? Just to know."

I shiver, failing to retain my emotions, and look away from her. She notices, once again, and points out, "You don't need to be afraid to show the true yourself. I'm here for you. I'll always be for you, no matter what it takes. You have to trust me."

I'd like to believe her, but there's something about her that makes me doubt what she said. Still, I'm still by her side and the other way round. It couldn't be any different, honestly.

People like us are judged because they're deemed to be different. As of Alyssa and I, we struggle to open up, especially when it comes to something bigger such as secrets. But I guess our other friends will make the effort to understand us and treat us as they always did.

With that said, she heads towards the exit and leaves the house, closing the house behind her and not even letting me say goodbye. Probably, she's still thinking of what I said, which could be a good thing, hopefully. Though, I know she likes me for what I truly am.

***

A new day has started, which should be a good thing. Nonetheless, these messages coming from Griffin and Jaylin are paving the way for what I'd call unnecessary drama. Why do they have to be so obnoxious?

The first set of messages comes from Griffin. His attempt to be the group's dad via text message is outright pathetic. Why can't he just get a life of his own? I mean, he doesn't need to be so controlling for his own good.

Kendall, you've got to come. Now. I'm not joking.

Please answer as soon as you can. It's serious.

It looks like Chiana and Jaylin don't want to see each other if not for sniping at each other.

The situation is desperate. Please help!

On the other hand, there are Jaylin's messages. He's being as frantic as Griffin, but not as controlling, fortunately. Boys can be really irritating sometimes, let me say that.

Darling, I need your help!

Chiana won't stop lashing at me!

She claims I'm ignoring her on purpose, but the problem is, she's being overbearing.

Please help me!

Okay, they really need to man up. Is that so difficult? I mean, it takes a lot of effort... they can just try and stop being drama queens. Though, I think I'm asking way too much from them.

As I get ready to go out, this time I'm caught by surprise by a phone call, hoping that it's not either Griffin or Jaylin. I don't want to deal with their shenanigans again.

"Hello?" I say, waiting from an answer on the other line. Though, what I get is silence. A strange, broken silence.

As I consider hanging up, however, I'm forced to stay in for the conversation as I hear Alyssa's voice. "Kendall, you'd better come now. It's serious. We need to talk before it's too late."

These words are creeping the hell out of me. What does she even mean? Is she realizing that what she's saying is making no sense to me? Oh, come on, I can't pretend that everyone understands my feelings and acts like me. We're all different, aren't we?

At last, I can finish getting ready and leave the house. When I do so, I try to think of what we could all be doing together. Maybe we could go to the local bar and have some snacks and cold beers, or we could go to the arcade to try and beat the record score for Plumpy Donkey - yeah, that's probably the silliest game I've ever played in my life.

Or, why not, we could go shopping, even though this is not exactly something the boys would do with enthusiasm. But who cares? They're not supposed to complain, since in most cases it's them who decide what we have to do every time we hang out together.

My phone is ringing once again, and at this point I'm considering not answering. Still, I don't want to disappoint any of my friends; moreover, they don't like when someone doesn't answer their calls. So, I just act like a good girl and do what I'm expected to do.

"Hello?" My annoyance is evident as I cringe and then let out a groan. The person on the other line must've caught it, though, so I consider backing off this reaction - after all, it is pretty uncalled for.

"Kendall, it's still me, Alyssa. Actually, I forgot to tell you where we're going today." She pauses, creating a sense of eerie tension that makes me shiver. That girl loves surprises, and I'm very worried as, every time she sets one up, everything is bound to go wrong. Oh, no, it's not because of the so-called Murphy's law or because of some strange coincidence, but let's say I hate surprises.

"We're actually going to Griffin's because he's throwing a party." Oh, perfect. Now, I start suspecting that the matter among him, Jaylin and Chiana is just a way to force me at his place. I don't need to be played these pathetic games on, though.

"Have you said party, Alyssa? Why didn't you tell me earlier? Count me in then!" Excited about doing what I like the most - yeah, even though I don't look like one, I'm a party girl - I'm just waiting for her to come and pick me up. Now, things are getting serious, and I want to make sure everything is okay.