eight » the party

"You've gotta be fucking kidding me," I huffed as soon as we stepped through the front doors of the boys' house. It was packed full of people I hardly recognized and the banner above the TV read HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHARLOTTE and in tiny letters below that AND RALEIGH. It annoyed me to no end that David had even found out about my birthday, much less decided to throw me a party without even asking.

"Surprise?" he tried, but it was written all over my face. Raleigh cheered at the crowd who began clapping as soon as we stepped in, and she was swept away pretty quickly by Zane and some alcohol. I, on the other hand, was stuck close to the door, glaring while David made conversation with Scott and Kristen.

He eventually gave up acting like I wasn't angry when Scott nudged him and pointed at me.

"What's wrong?" he had the nerve to ask. I rolled my eyes and turned on my heel to exit the house, slamming the door behind me. No one else would've noticed due to the loud music, but David certainly did. He followed me out to the driveway, where I turned again to face him. "I'm really trying to understand why you're mad, so could you not walk away?"

"David, we talked for an hour last night about how shitty my childhood was. I told you how much I hated my birthday because my mom made me regret ever being born," I snapped, rolling my eyes once again when he still looked very confused. "Did you think it was a good idea to throw me a party when I told you I hated my birthday?"

"Yeah, I did," he admitted sheepishly, almost making me feel bad for him. Almost. "I wanted you to have a good birthday for once, and I stalked Raleigh on instagram to find out your birthday. When I realized that's what Raleigh was in town for, I thought it'd be fun to throw you a party."

"That's stupid," I said bluntly, crossing my arms over my chest. "You knew I hated my birthday. You knew I would've hated this. You did this on purpose, knowing how I felt, and now I'm going to look like a bitch in front of all of your friends."

"Because you're acting like a bitch," it was the first time he even slightly seemed angry. I was kind of scared, and realized I was being dramatic, but I wasn't backing down now. He called me a bitch.

"Okay, bye, David," I sarcastically waved at him then turned around and began making my way down the sideway.

"Charlie, wait!" he yelled after me and I stopped in my tracks, realizing maybe I needed to hear him out. When we made eye contact, he sighed and grabbed my shoulders, forcing me to look at him. He continued, "I just wanted you to have a fun night with your friends."

"They're not my friends!" I interrupted whatever he was going to say next with my first yell of the argument. "They're your friends! It's your party, not mine! Why can't you just admit it's yours and you weren't thinking about me?"

"Because that's not true!" he yelled back. "They are your friends! They all love you!"

"David, I don't have friends!" I screamed. "I haven't had friends since I've moved here! I haven't had friends since birth! I've been fine my whole life; I don't need you and I don't need your friends! This party wasn't for me because I would've never thrown one!"

"I just wanted you to be happy on your birthday. If you aren't happy, go home."

Oh no, he didn't.

"I'll go with you," he added softly afterwards, but my mind was still focused on the whole go home thing.

"Fine," I snapped, crossing my arms over my chest. "I'll go home. But if you come within ten feet of my front door, I will not hesitate to call the cops on you."

With that, I stomped off, leaving David alone in front of the house. Two blocks later, I figured I should order an Uber.

Once I got home, I sat and thought about the situation. I knew I overreacted; trust me, I knew. But at the same time, David truly wasn't thinking when he planned a party on a day I knew I hated. He wasn't thinking when he tricked me into going, and he definitely wasn't thinking when he assumed I would like it. It offended me most that he didn't understand what he did wrong, and he didn't say he was sorry.

I checked my front porch four times that night, but David never came to check on me. Not that I expected him to, after I threatened to call the cops on him, but I kind of hoped he would. Raleigh came home at three in the morning, in the midst of my second mental breakdown of the night.

"Hi, what happened tonight? You left—" she frowned as soon as she stepped in, but gasped when she saw me sitting on the floor crying. "Oh my gosh, what happened? I mean I knew something happened because David was pissed when he came back in, but I didn't think something actually bad happened. Are you okay?"

"I don't know," I cried, wiping the tears out from under my eyes. "I hate my birthday and he planned that stupid party and he knew I hated it and he didn't apologize."

"Oh, honey, it's okay," she sat down next to me on the floor, pulling my head into her lap. "It's okay. I'm so sorry."

"I hate it, I hate it," I sobbed, only calming down when she began to pet my hair. "I hate today. I wasn't supposed to be born. I hate today."

"Shh," she began scratching my back with her free hand. "You were meant to be born just as much as I was. We're in this together, Char. Until the end, we're in this together."

"I love you."

And I did. No matter how much my mom tortured me growing up, no matter how many nights she gave Raleigh the food instead of me because she was the wanted child, no matter how many birthdays I cried myself to sleep because she only threw Ra a birthday party, I would always love my sister.

I wasn't used to having friends since I held a resentment deep down for Raleigh, my only friend, growing up. I regretted not knowing how friendship work and if mine and David's would ever be fixed.

"I said I didn't need him," I told her a few hours later, laying on the living room floor in silence. "I said I didn't want to be his friend. Maybe I don't. Maybe I don't need friends."

"Char," she sighed, flipping over to face me. "I don't know much about them, but I know everything about you. You have never seemed happier than when David walked through your back gate, whether or not you tried to show it. I think maybe you should take a few days to calm down and then call him to talk. The least you could do is hear him out."

"You're right. Why are you always right?"

"Because I'm your older sister, duh!"

hahahah i cant wait for the "charlotte is so dramatic" comments. she had a traumatic childhood, she hated her birthday because her mom constantly made her regret the day she was born. throwing the bday party was davids mistake. she overreacted but sometimes a bitch gets angry u know!!! like sometimes ur so upset u cant just sit and talk it out u have to yell!!

anyways i also love writing fights if u couldnt tell from fourth roommate soooo i had to have a fight or i was gonna spontaneously combust

vote comment and follow if u enjoy!!! good night yall

xoxox abby