Chapter 98

William's POV:

When they returned back to Harvey's place after an incredibly silent journey, Alex hopped out the doors to see them. Well... not so much them. More so Harvey than anything. He had a huge smile on his face, the type that William hadn't seen on him in years.. maybe it was best for William to lay low. Harvey may be half evil, but maybe Alex is right and Harvey can learn to get better.. ugh. It was something William doubted and rejected; but he also knew how much of an unrealistic pessimist he was. He knew that was one of his downfalls, he saw the worst in everyone. And yes, Harvey was manipulative, dangerous, and unpredictable.. but.. weren't they all?

William couldn't pinpoint the reason he liked Alex, but not Harvey. Those two were pretty much the exact same person, although Harvey was a little... darker. Maybe it was because William took care of Alex by himself for a while... maybe it was because William was still upset at Harvey for leaving. Either way, he had to suck it up for now. Alex was happier than ever before. He didn't need William to act as a brother, mother, and father anymore. He had a real dad now. ... shouldn't William be happy for him? ...or even more, shouldn't William be happy for himself....?

He sighed, watching the two as they hugged and talked about whatever Alex had been doing the past hour or so. They both seemed happy. William smiled a little at seeing it. It was nice to see Alex like this... even if it meant taking William out of the picture completely.

William went inside, going right into his room and pacing back and forth. He didn't text jim; he wouldn't anymore. If what Harvey predicted was true; and it usually is; then jim was using you. It did make sense, jim could have predicted Harvey was going to begin opposing him, he could have even set up Harvey Alex and William finally meeting again. Jim could have even waited this long because he was waiting for the perfect person to use as a tool to be on his side.. a simple pawn in order to even out the scale against him and Harvey. .... he could easily dispose of you once he'd gotten everything he needed. ..... but still....

... William had seen jim with you. It seemed different with everyone else... jim seemed to actually care. .... he couldn't fake that, could he? ... no. William had already decided this a long time ago. Even if jim doesn't care about anyone or anything else, including William, even if he IS using you as a pawn, jim HAS to care about you. ... there's no way he could fake any of that. William couldn't let his conclusions be entirely torn apart by one man's simple theory. He could be careful, and be prepared for whatever outcome there may be. But regardless of what happens, William was sure of one thing. Jim damn well loved you.

Alex's POV:

Alex smiled up at his dad happily, absolutely ecstatic to finally have someone who understood him.

"Dad, when can I see y/n again??" Alex asked happily, with absolutely no intention of setting Harvey off. Actually, the thought didn't even occur to him that talking about you could be a bit of a touchy subject. So it was a bit of a frustration when Harvey immediately became cross with him.

"Do not talk about her, Alex. She's with jim and that deems her as unsafe. Do not mention her ever again."

"But-"

"You. Will never. See her. Again." Harvey snapped sternly, Alex's wide eyes teared up, not seeing it as fair that Harvey just completely cut you off from him. Harvey immediately seemed to calm down at realizing how upset Alex had gotten, pulling him quickly in a hug.

"Alex, I'm sorry... I don't mean never. Just not right now, okay..? Everything's still settling down, and jim is.. really upset. ... I don't want you getting hurt by him, okay?" Harvey stated, Alex slowly nodded, still finding the situation completely unfair. He hated when people got mad at him, or even raised their voices ever so slightly... especially when Alex didn't see how he had done anything wrong in the first place. However he tried to understand Harvey's point of view... Harvey wanted to protect Alex, and he knew jim was dangerous for them both to be around, especially right now..

Still... Alex missed you a lot.