Part 51

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Well kid, do you have a key?" I ask.
    "You've got to stop the whole kid thing, I'm 19."
"Still has teen in the name, you're still a kid."
    "Whatever. She didn't give me a key, she probably has a spare around here somewhere."

I send Joslyn a text as he looks around. 4 minutes later another call from my dad appears. I can't avoid him forever.

"Hello." I answer.
   "Now my calls are of importance to you? You'd rather eat out with that bitch than handle your duties as a business owner?! Do you understand the importance of your job?! You are to run and expand the family business, that is all. You were born solely for that purpose, you know that!" he yells in Spanish.

I don't say anything. I let him ramble on until he finishes. I know I was born only for that reason. He's reminded me for as long as I can remember. If Ava was a boy, I would have never existed.

"I'm moving the date. She's coming to you as soon as possible, this will get your fucking head in the game." he hangs up.

She's coming early, huh?
This is good but why do I feel so empty? I knew from the beginning this is how my life would be.

"Your dad's pretty loud." Jayden says. "Who's she?"
"I don't want to talk about it." I say dully. "Your sister said there's one in the dirt."
    He digs through the dirt near her front door. Finally he finds it then opens the door. We bring in all the bags without speaking.

"Kid, will you be fine on your own?" I ask.
   "I told you to stop calling me kid. I'll be fine by myself, I'm used to it now." he mumbles the last part.

I don't ask why he's been living alone. I need to go to work. I dig in my pocket and give him $200.

"Don't let your sister know I gave that to you, she'll just make you return it." I don't wait for him to respond. I just leave.
~•~•~•~•~
Joslyn's POV

Alright, I bought two bed frames, a mattress, pillows, sheets, a dining set, and a couch. I even went ahead and bought a tv for Jayden to watch while he stays over. Aw man, this has drained my wallet dry! How long will it take to earn these funds back? I let out a sigh. As long as Jayden will sleep comfortably this week I'm happy.
   When I get home Jayden is laying on the floor again, using a bag as a pillow.

"All the furniture is being delivered, including your mattress. I bought a tv, it's in the car. I don't know how to hook it up though. Where's Tristan?"
   "He left. So um.. you walked around in your graduation cap and gown all day?"
"Oh my god..."

Jayden starts laughing hysterically.
"At least Tristan took his off in the car, you really walked around.. and the cap too!" he laughs.
    "I don't remember you being so annoying." I say as I take off the gown.
"I'll go get the tv from the car." he says, still laughing.
     "Can you carry it?"
"Of course."

2 hours later the tv is hooked up, the furniture is in the house, and I'm cooking grilled chicken for the both of us. This sure does bring back memories. When I finish cooking, we sit at the small table and eat.

"Can I ask you something?" Jayden asks.
   "Are you going to ask for the recipe?! It's that good, huh? I used a new herb and glazed it with a sweet bourbon sauce. Great, huh?"
"It has nothing to do with your cooking. Hmm.. 7/10."
    "W-what?!"
"The meat's a little on the dry side, needs to be more moist and tender."
    "And you can do better?" I ask.
"Of course."
     "Fine. Tomorrow we'll have a little competition."
"Fine by me."

We share a small laugh together.

"What did you want to ask me?"
   "Is Tristan close to any other girl?"
"Not that I know of. Why do you ask?"
    "Just curious since you love him and all."
"I never said I loved him." I say. I feel my cheeks starting to heat up.

    "You didn't have to."
"What's your sudden interest in him anyway?"
    "I wonder how strong your love for each other is. Hopefully it's enough to overcome whatever's coming."
"Jayden? What are you talking about?"
    "Nothing. I'm going to sleep. I'll call the cable company tomorrow while your at work."

"Oh um.. okay. Goodnight Jayden, love you."
   "Yeah yeah, 'night sis."