Adjustments

"I haven't eaten regular food in over a hundred years, and I'm not going to start now."

Robin glared at me from the opposite side of the counter, and slid the plate of pancakes over. "Krys, I've seen you eat junk food loads of times. Just eat."

"No," I growled.

Robin sighed, and pinched the bridge of his nose. "If I don't make sure you eat and stay alive, your brother will skin me alive. I'm not leaving until you eat."

I glared at him, but didn't make a move.

Because I couldn't eat. If I ate human food, that meant I was human. And I wasn't quite ready to accept that. Because that would mean it was over. All of it.

"Where are the others?" I asked quietly.

Robins gaze didn't soften. "Seth and your sister were getting cabin fever, so the team took everyone on a tour of the city," he said. "They should be back by lunch."

I nodded, and buried my head in my hands. A tear slid down my cheek, but I didn't care. "I can't do this, Robin," I whispered. "I can't handle the transition. I can't... I just can't."

Arms wrapped around me, and I sniffled as I buried my face in the crook of his neck.

"You're doing great," he said, stroking my hair. He pulled back, and held my face between his cupped hands. "But Krystalyn, you have to eat. You'll make yourself sick if you don't."

Great. Then I can be more useless.

"You're not useless," Robin growled.

I blinked. "I said that out loud?"

He rolled his eyes. "Just because you're human now, doesn't mean you're useless. Cyborgs human-"

"With robot parts," I pointed out.

He glared. "Beastboy-"

"May or may not be human. Besides, he has part animal DNA."

"Me." Robin paused, raising an eyebrow.

I avoided eye contact, and clasped my hands together. "You were trained by Batman. You've had years of experience."

I could feel the frustration coming off him in waves, but I still didn't look up. "You don't understand," I whispered, and cleared my throat. "You don't understand," I repeated, louder. "I was a vampire. For centuries, I didn't have to worry about anything because I was a vampire. And now, I'm human. I never... I didn't have to..."

I put my hea in my hands, but didn't cry. I've cried enough the past few days, my tear ducts were probably dry.

Robin sighed. "Even if you don't have your powers, we're not going to look at you any different. You're still Krystalyn."

"I might as well leave," I huffed. "I may still be the same person, but I can't be a Titan. That's the only reason you invited me here, isn't it? Because I had abilities, and could help."

Robin took my hands away from my face with one hand, and with the other, he held my chin. "Being a Teen Titan doesn't mean having powers. It means we can turn to you in time of need, and trust you. It means you're our friend."

I tried to search his eyes, but his mask did its job; I couldn't see anything.

"Do you mean it?" I asked.

"Of course." He let my hands go, and smiled.

I kept staring at him, thinking. 'You like him and he likes you. I'm giving you the chance to be happy.'