Dr.Miller

After my unexpected bond with Agent Bond (pun intended) I walked back to my room with Ty. We worked our way through the halls in silence. 

"So," Ty started, breaking the silence. "That was pretty brave of you to apologize. I really respect that. I mean, it takes bravery to stand up and fight, but to humble yourself like that."

"More words of wisdom from Tyrone," I said in my radio announcer voice. He chuckled as we rounded a corner. I saw Alice up ahead. she waved me over. "I'll meet up with you later, Ty," I said abrubtly. He thought about questioning me, but shrugged and kept walking. I made my way over to Alice. She was leaning on a wall letting all of the traffic pass by.

"Hey," she said as I approached.

"Hey," I said back.

"So, Daniel," she began. "I just wanted to tell you that I had a lot of fun last night. Thanks for doing that with me. Also I know this relationship is a bit awkward, but if maybe you wanted to do it again sometime, I would be okay with that."

"Wow," I responded. "That's pretty much exactly what I was going to say." She laughed tossing her golden hair. Her blue eyes sparkled. All of a sudden the tension in the air snapped, and I was laughing too. "Okay well would you like to go to dinner with me?" I asked.

"Uh Daniel I always go to dinner with you," She said between laughs.

"That's the point," I replied. "I can ask you out, and even if you say no we still eat dinner together." I smiled at my own cleverness.

"Well I accept anyways," She  said formally.

"Okay then, see you at dinner, Alice," I said as I walked towards my room. Punched in our keycode on the door, and walked in feeling as happy as I could be. It was about 1:00 in the afternoon, so Ty, and Tarzan were making som PB&J's for lunch. Or more like Ty was making the sandwhiches, and Bruce was licking globs of jelly off of his hands. 

"Yo, Daniel I made you a sandwhich," Ty called over his shoulder.

"Thanks Betty Crocker," I said in return. He shot me a look. I wolfed it down, and chugged a glass of milk. Agent Bond had given us the rest of the day off, so I could just chill around the house. I turned on the XBox, and flopped onto a beanbag chair. 

"Hey Tarzan," I called. "You want to play some Halo with me?" Tarzan nodded enthusiastically. He ran over, and grabbed a controller. Thankfully he had already licked all of the jelly off of his hands. We play for a while. Ty joined us after a while. All of a sudden there was a knock on the door. I paused the game, and answeredthe door. It was Chandler.

"What's up man?" I asked.

"Dr. Miller needs all of you in his office immediately," He responded looking worried.

"Why?" I asked skeptically. "Whats going on?"

"He didn't tell me. That's what worries me." Chandler said. I've had one conversation with Dr.Miller my entire life. If he wanted to see me now it had to be important. 

"Come on guys," I hollered to Ty, and Bruce we've got to go." By the tone of my voice they didn't even question me. I went, and got the girls, and told them where we were going. We rushed through the halls, and finally reached Dr. Miller's office. A million question surrounded my brain. I took a deep breath, and knocked on the door.

I opened the wooden door to Dr. Miller’s office. I looked around, and saw Agent Bond sitting in a chair across from Dr. Miller.

“Ah. Hello Daniel, Vanessa, Alice, Tyrone, Bruce,” Dr. Miller said as we entered his office. His watery gray eyes studied me intuitively. “You all already know Agent Bond I presume,” He said with deathly seriousness.

“Yes sir,” Vanessa answered for all of us.

“Well since the formalities are over, let’s cut to the chase,” Dr. Miller said. “The Board and I had hoped we would not have to use you until you were all older, but desperate times call for desperate measure. Whether you know it or not these are desperate times,” Dr Miller said. His eyes drilled holes in me. Agent Bond shifted in his chair. “I don’t know what you know about Area 51, but it’s been breached,” He said without taking his eyes off of me.

“Wait a minute Area 51 like the Alien place?” Vanessa asked.

“There are no Aliens there, but there are lots of nuclear warheads,” Dr. Miller said training his eyes on Vanessa. “Recently a Russian terrorist association known as N.E.W. Era took control of Area 51,” he finished. “The N.E.W. stands for Nuclear Extraterrestrial War. With time they could launch a salvo of nuclear missiles to other countries, and start world war III; the United States would be held responsible. So far they have not been able to hack the nuclear missile launch code, but it’s only a matter of time before they do. We have tried sending in teams of Navy S.E.A.L.S., but nothing has worked. You, The Brigade, are our wild card. We need you to infiltrate Area 51, eliminate the terrorists, and shut down the nukes.” I was way freaked out. Partially because I was being sent on a mission finally, and partially because the fate of the word rested on me, and my family. If we failed the world as we know it would end. Everyone was too shocked to speak. We just stood there with wide eyes.

“You will have help though,” Agent Bond piped up. “I will accompany all of you along with a few others of my top men from the CIA. We will also be flying from here directly to Las Vegas to pick up some other mutants that will help us take back Area 51,” 

“Right,” Dr. Miller said. “Now go see Lance in the armory to get your weapons.” I groaned internally. Lance was another mutant that was part dolphin. His mutation gives him uncanny brainpower because humans are the smartest life forms on the planet, and dolphins are the smartest animals. He also thinks he knows everything, and that he’s the coolest person ever to walk the planet. He is not only book smart but is very intelligent with people. He can figure out what they want or what makes them tick. He exploits your weaknesses, and insults you in such a way that you can’t argue. The only person ever to laugh at his cheesy jokes is Bruce because he has a ten year olds sense of humor. It’s so aggravating because Lance is only twelve, but he has already finished high school, and is a sophomore in college. That being said he made awesome guns, knives, and gadgets.

“Yes sir,” I said with forced enthusiasm. “Come on guys,” I said. My family followed me out of the door.

“Yay we get to go see Lance!” Bruce cried happily.

“Yeah,” Vanessa said sarcastically. “We get to go talk to a stuck up, egotistical dolphin kid.”

  “Alright guys let’s just get some stuff, and get out,” Ty instructed.

“Amen to that,” Vanessa said throwing up her hands. We began our trek through the halls. Alice walked over to me.

“Daniel what do you think about this mission?” She asked.

“I can’t really figure out how I feel right now. I’m terrified yet exhilarated at the same time,” I answered.

"Do you really think that we can save the world?" Alice said.

"I'll tell you this, I doubt it will be anything like combat training with Agent Bond," I responded with a chuckle.  She shot me a smile.

"I'm worried about Bruce," Alice said. "He's only ten." 

"You're worried about Tarzan?" I asked astonished. "All you've got to do is give him a king sized crunch bar, and he's unstoppable!" She grinned from ear to ear.

"Maybe you're right," She said.

"Am I ever wrong?" I countered playfully.

"Don't push it, Daniel," Alice said flatly.

"Yeah seriously man," Ty said. " you're starting to sound like Lance." We all laughed at that one as we reached the armory.