13. Abrupt

Brendon gathers up his stuff around the cubicle to leave Wednesday afternoon. He grabs his coat and tucks his phone into the pocket of his slacks, making sure to clean his glasses before leaving.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Luke." He says when passing, Lukas smiles.

Brendon keeps his head low walking past everyone to the elevator.

It's only been two days since he last talked to Debby and he hopes that was the last time he going to have to. He's learned quickly that she wasn't good for him. Everyone said how horribly she had been treating him so it's time for Brendon to start believing the people who actually cared for him.

He presses the button for the elevator, bouncing back and forth on his heels while waiting.

Thinking about what he should do once he's gone, he considers going to Roscoe's for coffee. He can admit, it was really good, and he wouldn't have to pay nearly as much as he would have to at Starbucks.

He doesn't need to think about it.

He'll go to Roscoe's.

The elevator finally gets to his floor, he walks in and presses the lobby level this time.

Personally, he likes the elevator. It gives him time to compose himself before coming in and out of work, and the music and calming as well.

The doors start to close, he feels like he can breathe again.

"Wait! Wait." Someone says, sticking their arm out so it doesn't shut.

It's Ryland. Brendon frowns.

This won't be any good.

He watches him motion someone over, this really won't be any good.

Ryland walks in the small capacity beside him, then Ryan comes in as well. Brendon knows they don't get off for another hour or so, so they came in here with him purposefully.

The doors close and now Brendon's trapped.

No one says anything. They all stand in silence, but Ryland and Ryan are talking with their eyes, nodding their head towards Brendon.

He pretends he doesn't see.

His heart beat reacts to the silence loudly.

This is uncomfortable.

"Brendon," Ryan pipes up.

The latter takes longer than usual processing his own name. He looks up from his feet in trepidation, hair falling in his face. "Uh, yeah?"

"We just wanted to tell you we're, we're sorry." Ryland cuts in for him.

Brendon feels like he might need to see the otolaryngologist. He squints his eyes, brows pulling together. Did he hear that right? Debby's best friends were apologizing for her actions. "What?"

"Debby's. . . Debby's being a bitch." Ryland admits.

Brendon can't believe this is actually happening.

"We already know she isn't going to apologize, because she doesn't see what she did wrong, and she won't." Ryan interrupts. He really is sympathetic. They both are. "So, we're sorry. Really. We're glad you're making friends. It's important."

It's nice to hear that from someone you never talk to.

Brendon smiles, a small one of course. "That means a lot. Thank you."

"If you're ever willing to go out with us, minus Debby, the offer still stands." Ryan tells him. It's solemn, it's honest.

Brendon is making friends.