88

2 Weeks Later

The babies were fast asleep under Veracon's wing one day. It was windy and looked like it was going to rain. Doron and Ragon were off hunting. The surface of the river was covered in endless ripples due to the wind. Off in the distance I could see lightning, and could here thunder.

"Looks like rain." I said.

"Yeah, hope they don't mind flying in the rain." Tahli said sarcastically.

I chuckled, before turning around to see Amy and Bailey sitting up against Veracon. Bailey had Magar in her arms as he slept.

"She likes you." I said as I walked up to them.

"Yeah, I like her too. She's so pretty." Bailey replied.

Just then, Magar stuck her head up and looked off in the distance behind us. I turned around to see what she was looking at.

"Ah, there they are." I exclaimed.

Doron and Ragon were approaching. As they passed over head, they dropped their catches to the ground. Several deer and a few hogs. They landed on the river bank, before turning to reunite with Veracon and the hatch-lings. Doron roasted the meat with a small flame, before the hatch-lings scurried out from under Veracon's wing and ripped into one of the deer. Doron bent down and took a deer for himself, as Veracon and Ragon each took their own hogs and left the rest for the hatch-lings. As the storm rolled in, Doron spread his left wing over the hatch-lings just before the rain came down. Amy and Tahli retreated to their dragons to hid from the rain. Bailey and I set face to face with the hatch-lings between us, looking up at us curiously.

"You guys are gorgeous." I said as I stroked Cumano's head.

Tegon and Alio were sleeping side by side, while Yulian and Derion butted their head together.

"They're so cute!" Bailey exclaimed.

"Yes, they are. I never thought we would find more eggs." I replied.

Magar stumbled over to Bailey and stopped right in front of her, then looked up, waiting for her to do something. She spread her purple and silver wings, which were stunning, and screeched softly as Bailey bent down to pick her up.

"This one's mine." Bailey said.

I chuckled.

"Yeah, it looks like you two have already managed to bond. That didn't even happen with Doron and I. We all had to, in a way, earn our dragons trust. You managed to bond with a dragon seconds after it hatched. That's something special. There are very few accounts of that happening through out history." I said as Magar purred.

The hatch-ling dragons fell asleep one by one as the thunder outside clapped over and over again. I could see flashes of lightning through Doron's translucent wing. I leave Bailey with the hatch-lings for a moment and crawl out to sit beside Doron.

"Hey, you okay?"I asked as I walked up beside him.

He looked down and moaned. He looked back up as a bolt of lighting struck the horizon, followed by a loud clap of thunder. Veracon and Ragon had their heads down, but their eyes still open, as if looking out for us, and the hatch-lings. Doron kept his head up, pointing towards the black, cloudy sky, as thunder and lightning shook the ground every few seconds. 

"Okay, well, i'm going to get out of the rain. Just thought i'd let you know that I understand now why you ran off on me. I also want you to know that I want you to do what ever you need to in order to protect them. No matter how long it takes, or what the cost may be. I love all three of you, and I love all seven of them." I said.

Doron lowered his head down to me, and pressed his snout up against me, knocking me over into the wet grass.

"Yeah. I love you too. Good night Doron." I said.

I crawled back under his wing to see Bailey curled up in the grass with Magar beside her, and the other six hatch-lings asleep next to one another. I rested my head on a ball of grass I put together and tried to fall asleep. The rain on Doron's wing was soothing, yet distracting. 

"Good night dad." I said in a whisper.

Hey Everyone!

If you're enjoying this story, be sure to check out my new story "The Dragon's Bond"! It can be found on my profile page and is still in progress, updates are daily or bi-daily on average.

Enjoy!