Chapter 13: Elijah

Start from the beginning

My head snapped up to meet eyes as pale as spring grass glaring at me just before my face. Startled I let out a squeak of air, stepping back I received a better picture of the creature before me. It was another dragon.

I took an intake of breath. She was beautiful, with scales as pale as alabaster and jade. She was thinner than Moorwin but just as majestic and awe inspiring. Her spikes and talons were a pale creamy ivory tipped in black.

Her eyes narrowed suspiciously, she took a few tentative steps back. When I tried to follow her I was met by a vicious growl. Returning to my earlier position I held my hands up in a surrendering gesture. With Moorwin I had learned dragons were incredibly intelligent creatures.

Hoping to show her I meant no harm I began to roll up my sleeve to show her my dragon heir’s mark. But I was interrupted when a man on horseback came thundering into the clearing his sword raised. A flooding flashback of memories reminded me of Emera’s death. I gripped the hilt of the Glamoric sword lowering my stance.

He came skidding to a halt between me and the dragon. His eyes glowing with fury he quickly dismounted and came charging at me sword raised in my face.

‘ARIYA!’ Moorwin called out to me sensing my discomfort.

‘It’s alright Moorwin’ Releasing the grip on my sword I straightened my posture.

“You have seen nothing, she,” He said pointing to the dragon. “does not exist. You shall tell no one what you saw.” He hissed. I couldn’t really see his eyes but when he reached to brush a curly mop of hair from his eyes I had more memories come rushing back. Mesmerizing eyes, his soft touch against my skin; the brush of two lips.

“You’re Dimitri’s father,” I stared into the eyes of Dimitri. The same golden eyes ringed in black.

“Who’s father?” He asked looking confused.

“Dimitri’s, of course, that’s why Moorwin was in a daze and why my mark was burning!” I sighed happily all the pieces clicking together.

“Who?”

“Moorwin, my dragon.” I smiled to the man. ‘Moorwin come,’

“I don't know who you think you are little girl. But Illyria is the only dragon I know that’s left. So stop babbling nonsense and get off my land.” He bickered. Dimitri’s must have inherited his mother’s hair colour. But everything else came from his father. The eyes and the loosely curled ends of hair. But this man’s hair was as dark as a raven’s feather.

I could hear Moorwin’s wing beats in the distance as he grew closer. A knowing smile donned my lips as I glanced to the man.

“You’re dragon isn’t the only left.” I smirked as Moorwin landed to my left throwing nervous glances to the green dragon and the man.

“My name is Ariya, and this is Moorwin.”

“My god, and I thought Illyria and I were the only heirs left.”

“No, but we will be if we don't kill the king who is after my head.”

“What? Why?”

“Because I was born, because of you.” I said my voice becoming solemn as I thought of my father’s murder and Dimitri’s mother.  This man had loved her dearly, I tried to think what it would be like if the King killed Dimitri. It stirred up my anger, I couldn’t no I wouldn’t lose him to. He was something that could be so much more, and I couldn’t lose that.

“You know.”

“Sadly, and you’re son. I know him. He is an amazing person, he thinks you’re dead. Well I did too till I heard the gypsies prophecy.”