Chapter 1: A life Story

"MIN-SEO!" My mother shouted from downstairs. "Yeah?!" I shout as I run down to her. "Where's the cabbage?" I hear her say from the kitchen. The fridge is slightly open as her head peeps through the opening. "Ma, I made Kimchi last night. Don't you remember?" She sighs at my response and snatches up her bag from the counter. I watch her as she makes her way to the front door. She quickly turns around making me jump a bit, " You need to stop eating so much Kimchi... IT'LL MAKE YOU FAT!" And with that, she slams the door making me jump again.

My mother really isn't my Mom. My parents died in a house fire when I was a baby. So, I guess you could say I never met my parents. Family seems to be distant from me as well, too. The only ones who get ahold of me are Bong Soon, Kyung Shim, Hyun-soo and In Guk-doo. The door opens as I gasp, " AND YOU'RE RUNNING UP MY FOOD BILL!" She says before slamming the door even harder this time.

"Aish!" I sit on the couch. My parents separated when my biological mother was pregnant with me. It hurts to know that they'll never see me now, or ever. As a child, I grew up with my non-biological brother Kim Hyun-soo. He's so loving and kind. He's just about two years younger than me, but we get along very well. As I grew older to be in school, I immediately made few friends. Their names are Do Bong Soon, Na Kyung Shim and In Guk-doo. I remember Bong Soon and Kyung Shim unexpectedly approached me at the lunch court.

I was reading as I look up to see two girls around my age looking at me. I shyly lower my book, and bow my head as low as I could. "H-hello..." I say as loud as I could've. They look at each other confused, " You look different! Are you a foreigner?" Bong Soon asked. "Y-yes. I'm American-Korean..." I reply with a slight smile. They both smile, " You seem to be alone. Have you any good friends? How DARE they leave you here like this?!" And just like that, we grew a strong bonded relationship.

After lunch, I made my way to my sixth period class which was music. I enjoyed playing piano at home as well as singing, so I began to get excited. I make my way to the music room, and see someone playing the piano already. A male student, as young as me at least. I heard of a new transfer that day as well, but he was not in any of my classes...besides this one. I walk into the room and find him really into it. He's so good at piano, I almost forgot that I was staring for too long.

The teacher walks into the room just as more students fill up the small space, leaving me trapped in the corner, alone. The same boy saw me as he got up from the piano, and politely bowed. I did the same in return. I was in awe at the time that I had seen his face. He has talent, and looks. I just wondered if his personal self was set right. From the looks of it, he took well care of himself and showed great respect for others.

He smiled at me before turning around, and I stood there smiling to myself. There were kiddy butterflies in my stomach as I happily and bravely made my way through other students to stand next to him. As I did that I saw Bong Soon looking my way. I smile and wave at her happily. I didn't know that we had the same class together. She waved back and gave me a bright smile. I look at the teacher and listen to her speaking.

After the class had ended, Bong Soon approached me with a smile. I asked her about the transfer and she said so many nice things about him. She cleans the music room, just to hear him play piano. I knew that meant she liked him, I mean, I did too. Friends are friends, and she's known him longer than I have. I smile with my heart, because I wanted to share my love for her and her crush on him. I found out his name was In Guk-doo.

As I was walking out of the door with Bong Soon, I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was him, "Hey!" He said politely, "I hear you're a great singer and pianist?!" I blush a bit, but I immediately thank him. I look at Bong Soon and begin walking a bit faster. He followed. I smile through my embarrassment, "Actually," I stop abruptly to face him, "Could you give me lessons?" We stood for a few seconds in silence, and then he smiled. "Sure! What's your number?"