Weak Stomachs and Waning Appetites

Day 113

Despite his trepidation regarding the inevitable conversation on the weird events of earlier, Obi-Wan had at least hoped that talking things through with his master would answer some of the questions bouncing around his skull. Yet after the discussion he felt more confused than ever.

Obi-Wan reclined on the couch thinking. He could hear his master fussing nearby with a datapad, probably catching up on his correspondence or some personal research. For the first time in a long while, the silence between the Jedi was comfortable if not companionable, that was until Obi-Wan's stomach decided to break the peaceful quiet. His master's voice immediately followed the intense growling.

"Blast it!"

"Master?" Obi-Wan replied worriedly as he sat up. He watched as his master rose from his seat at the small table near the shared balcony wearing an apologetic half smile.

"I'm sorry, Padawan, that was not directed at you," he said as he came to stand before him. "I was just remembering that I had agreed to have latemeal with Master Tahl here in our quarters. I had not known then you would be released and I can appreciate it if you are not yet up to receiving visitors."

Obi-Wan knew his master was offering him a way out, a no-apologies-or-explanations-necessary reason to say no to their potential dinner guest and for that the padawan was relieved, but Obi-Wan also knew that Master Tahl was one of his master's closest friends and one of the masters who had volunteered to search for him. Search for you but not find you, the voice in his head sneered, but Obi-Wan easily dismissed the unfair criticism. He had met Master Tahl on several occasions and she was always nice and warm to him, plus she meant a lot to his master and that, by itself, was nearly enough to make the decision for him.

"No, Master, I would welcome Master Tahl's company and it would give me an opportunity to thank her for her help in searching for me," he replied in his best approximation of his master's mask of serenity. The effort seemed to be appreciated as his master smiled warmly and a sensation of pride and love was sent over the bond.

"In that case, I suppose I ought to make my way down to the refectory and get us something to eat," his master answered as he reached for his cloak. "I will only be a minute," he said as he headed to the door.

Before Obi-Wan had a chance to think, he tossed off his blanket and jumped hurriedly to his feet, his arms outstretched towards his master.

"No! Don't!" he screamed, then he remembered himself. He put his hands by his sides and lowered his head to his chin. Obi-Wan took a deep breath. "Forgive me, Master."

Qui-Gon did not move. He remained frozen in place, his expression unreadable as he studied his apprentice.

"Perhaps I can persuade Master Tahl to procure our meal. That way she can choose what she would most enjoy, after all, she is our guest," the master offered after a long moment's thought. Obi-Wan was unable to hide the relieved smile that came to his lips.

"I think that would be best, Master."

* * * * *

Outwardly, the master was calm, his expression a well-worn mask of serenity, but inside his mind Qui-Gon Jinn muttered a long string of curses that would make even the slimiest Hutt blush to hear it. What had he been thinking! The truth was he had not been thinking. Indeed, the master's past few hours had been an ill-timed exercise in rampant unmindfullness.