Chapter 8

•Evan's POV•

I slid against the door after I closed it behind me. He gave me a kiss... But why?... Did he mean anything towards it?... Did he like me?... There's no way...

Of course I found him attractive and he's a pretty nice guy. But... I'm not ready for that... I'm still recovering after Jared... But Connor has been so kind, and gentle, protecting... And he cares about me...

Good fern why are emotions so difficult?! I got up and plopped down on my bed try to push those thoughts away. Was our friendship going to change after tonight? Maybe it was just a mistake... No... I don't want it to be a mistake... Because I..

"I like Connor..." there was no other way to say it. It seemed clear he liked me too. I just don't think I'm ready for that. Would he care, or would he hate me for that? My thoughts were becoming a blur as my eye lids got heavy and I fell asleep.

"Evan come here" No please... "You're so beautiful" I don't want it... "Why don't we continue?" I said stop! "Just a little more" NO

I jolted up from bed panting from my nightmare. No matter how hard I try to forget, it always haunts me. I looked around and saw no one was in the cabin. So I got up and took a quick shower before changing. I looked in the mirror and still saw bruises on my neck.

So I decided to wear another hoodie to hide it. Along with some makeup I borrow from Christine. I asked her yesterday as I headed back to setting up yesterday and bumped into her. She volunteered to be a camp helper like me and is so sweet.

She didn't even ask why I needed the makeup. She just gave it to me on the spot, which was really nice. I put some foundation on my neck hiding as much as I could before leaving.

I didn't feel like eating breakfast so I headed out to see if my mom needed any help. I came to her office and knocked on her door as she answered. "Oh hi Evan, how are you?"

"I'm good mom" it was a lie but I didn't want to worry her about my problems. "Just came to see if you needed anything." She walks to her desk getting her clipboard. "Hmm you can help me set up for the camp fire night today."

I nod willing to do anything to get my mind off of yesterday. We walked out going to our supply room getting firewood. As we walked to the main center I saw Connor walking and I turned away.

I really couldn't face him right now, I was too embarrassed. "How are things going with Connor?" SHE KNOWS! "F-fine we're been getting along g-great..." I try to put on a convincing smile.

"That's good I'm proud you're making new friends." Yeah... just friends. We set the firewood for the fire and set chairs around for the campers. "Ok that's all, you can go with your friends Evan."

"Umm o-ok..." I didn't really want to face them so I headed to my cabin. As I was waking someone lightly touches my shoulder. I jolt up and let out a gasp as I quickly turned around. Oh god it was Connor. "Hey Evan I-"

"S-sorry Connor I have to g-go do s-something" I then ran away to a different direction I didn't care where but I just ran. After my lungs started to hurt from running I stopped near the lake we had at our camp and leaned on the dock.

I can't believe I ran away, he probably thinks I hate him. God Evan you're so stupid. "Well look who it is, mommy's little fag" I recognized that voice. "Where's you're boyfriend Evan?" I recognized that voice to.

I look up to see Kurt and Ram, oh no... "I-I'm not looking for trouble I-I'll leave..." I tried to walk away but Kurt grabbed my arm aggressively. "Oh no you don't!" He pushed me against the dock making my back hurt.

"We didn't want to be here, being surrounded by so many gays. We're not even gay!" Ram spat at me as I shivered on the floor. "I-I'm sorry... but I can't do anything..."

"No, but we can beat you up for it. You're mom made this place and it's one big fucken lie. This place will help you change nope it's a place for gays to throw up rainbows!" Kurt then pulled me up to his face and was ready to throw a punch. "No please!"

"That's enough you idiots" I open my eyes to see Kurt stop and look over to his back. "Why the hell you sticking up to him Jared?" Jared? I look over to see him walking towards us. "Shut up and let him go!" Jared voice was harsh and Kurt gave in and let me go violently as I fell down.

They both left still angry as I tried to get up. "You ok acorn?" Jared comes towards me but I back away. "A thank you would be nice at least" I look up at him to see he was actually concerned. "T-thank you..." I get up and try to push past him till he holds onto my hand.

"Can we talk?" I try to pull my hand away put he gives it a light squeeze. "Please Evan" should I trust him after all he's done?... I turn to him to see if his expression said otherwise. But again he had a sadness and worry in his eyes.

"What is it Jared?..." he lets go of my hand and approaches to me. "I know you probably hate me but can we please get along. I've missed you after you left me I didn't know what to do. Which lead me to be so horrible to you, cuz I thought you should suffer to. But I know that was wrong so please. Give me another chance."

I looked at him in shocked as I turn away. This is what he felt all along, and he expects me to understand. "Jared I can't-"
Jared hold onto me tightly throwing me by surprise. "Please please you don't know what you've done to me when you said I love you. I can be better I can change."

"What we had was unhealthy Jared!" I pulled away from his hug and turned away. "At first I did love you... but then you changed... you became demanding, controlled what I did, I began to fear you... a-and you made m-me do things I didn't want to... I'm sorry Jared... especially after yesterday... I can't be with you.."

I looked up to him seeing he was crying a little. I wiped his tears away before moving back a bit. "Please understand Jared... I don't want you to be like this..." Jared stayed silent for awhile till he looked up at me. "You love him don't you?"

His question shocked me as I turn away and blush. "I-I um..." I hear him let out a soft laugh like from the past. "At least he can make you happy... something I failed to do..." before I could protest Jared held his hand up to silence me and walked away.

I was left confused, was he still mad? He didn't attack me... I realized the sun has gone down and I had to head to the camp fire. As I sat down next to my mom, I felt Connor's stare pierce through me. The others looked confused since I usually sit with them.

But I still didn't have the courage to sit with them. I still need a little more time. I didn't pay attention to the stories the counselors were saying. I simply listened to the fire cracking and watched the flames. Until it was time to go to our cabins.

I quickly made my way avoiding the others and fell to my bed. Today was crazy I just wanted to sleep. I heard Jeremy and Jake come in and I pretended to be asleep. They didn't bother me which I was grateful for. I didn't want to recall what happened today.